Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Bacon-Wrapped Caprese Chicken Breasts

Thinly sliced chicken breasts and bacon were on sale, so I bought them.  We also had mozzarella and basil we needed to use up. 

Seasoned breasts with S&P and some herbs.  Laid bacon down flat, then chicken breast, then sliced tomato, mozzarella, and fresh basil.  Rolled them up and secured with toothpick.  Put on egg at 400 with some light smoke, raised direct.  Cooked until done as determined by Thermapen and Meathead's magnet. 

They were very good.  Meat stayed very moist and tender.  Now we just want to figure a way to make bacon even crispier without melting all the cheese out.  I would recommend everyone stuff something in a piece of chicken after wrapping it in bacon.

• caneggercanegger Posts: 540
    edited March 2013
    I know I heard of people pre cooking the bacon a bit so it would be crispy when everything else is done.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,521
    Very nice... That makes a real good meal when company comes over.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,726
    Looks great. Maybe "par - bake" the bacon in the oven for half the time it takes to fully cook.375 for 8-10 minutes.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,157
    Try microwaving the bacon for a bit.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,749
    Good deal, first I've seen of this one. Chicken breast could always use some help to change it up.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,214
    edited March 2013
    Griffin said:
    Try microwaving the bacon for a bit.
    this is it. Spread the bacon and nuke it on a lower power for a few minutes. The water drives off first then the fat. With less water, the bacon will crisp faster on the grill. 
    Never done it with chicken, but for pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, I've rolled the almost finished tenderloins in a hot cast iron pan to crisp the bacon a bit. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 570
    Are the pictures showing up?  I uploaded them but can't see them.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,726
    Are the pictures showing up?  I uploaded them but can't see them.
    Not anymore. We ate them.  ;)

Yes, 2 pics are under your OP)
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 570
    Lol, ok now they are.   Yeah we just got a microwave, so will have to try that next time.  Maybe I can even do thick bacon with that trick ;)
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Looks great, I'll be trying this.
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,843
    Looks terrific!
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,593
    Nice looking cook there. Chicken of any sort is so good on the egg. I will try a version of this for sure.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013