Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Fish and Chips

Options
Never did this before.  Breaded cod and fries - FISH AND CHIPS!

Not quite restaurant quality, but awfully close.  I think maybe different batter, or maybe baking awhile after the frying.

More health food :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton - not every meal has to be egged, as you well know. Love me some fish and chips, now you got me wanting some.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    But you can Egg them if you want. Now this was shrimp butI do fish the same. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    fish and chips is going to be one of the first things i cook when this diet is over, maybe some big orings as well. ive got a pile of perch fillets just waiting
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2013
    Options
    That looks great from here Doc!  You have the requisite malt vinegar.  I have been off carbs for a few weeks now, so given the chance I would destroy that plate right now. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice cook Doc, wondered what I was having tomorrow night - fish and chips it is!
    Batter looks good, what didn't you like about it?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Did this with fish I caught last spring. Beats the 3 piece cod deals for $13 + around here
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stella Artois - good choice, that's my current keg.
    Options
    Nice cook Doc, wondered what I was having tomorrow night - fish and chips it is!
    Batter looks good, what didn't you like about it?
    It wasn't crispy enough.  I think what I need to do is small pieces of fish.  I had too much going at a time.  I used Drake's.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Mickey said:
    But you can Egg them if you want. Now this was shrimp butI do fish the same. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Mickey, that makes me think of the stories of people burning their houses down with turkey fryers.

• Mickey
    Options
    Doc_Eggerton  I would never try that with my Large. But the Mini is so much easier to control.That was on the back porch....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Doc this I would not do. This guy was at Texas Fest and cooked the best legs I have ever had. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Dang, now I want fish and chips and fried shrimp. I love this site but it's killing me.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Doc this I would not do. This guy was at Texas Fest and cooked the best legs I have ever had. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

That is nuts, but sure looks good. Mickey, what is the ruling on a grease burned demo egg? Haha. I would do that outdoors, in a nest, with a demo egg like that guy, but not my current setup at home!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Looks good! A couple of tips. Dredge the fish in flour thoroughly and leave it in the flour while you make the batter. Use a brown ale in the batter to aerate it. Newcastle, Tartan or Killkenny. You know to double fry the chips? Malt vinegar and mushy peas make the meal.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Options

Chubbs   As I said this was at the Texas Fest in Austin. I don't want it at Salado.... The wind did catch a tent next to him and tilted the Egg while frying, he caught it and got it upright.. Close call.

But what I do is with the Mini and a 10" Wok. I feel safe and have done it 3 or 4 times. Will keep doing it. Just not in a Large.

This is boudin balls I did at LawnRangers. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos