Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How long to starve out coals?

How long do you have to shut the egg off until the coals are entinguished?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,441
    edited March 2013
    You can do it in about 5 mins with a hose. Without water about 20 mins if you take out the coals. If you just shut it down about an hour. But for total coals out bet 10 or more hours. That is why we stop cooking about 3:00 to 3:30 at most Fests.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,744
    edited March 2013
    Depends on how air tight your egg is. If your gasket has missing spots or bottom vent has gaps it will tale awhile. My large will cool down from go from 400 - 0 in about 2 hrs.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My egg usually is close to half the operating temperature about an hour after i shut the vents.  I have never checked it past that.  I have an idea by the amount of lump left inside before my next cook...
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    As a related question,  how long before it's cool enough to put the egg/table cover back on? 
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,744
    I usually won't put the cover back on til the next day. It might be paranoid but I just don't want take a chance of the fire coming back to life and end up having a green melted goo on the outside of my egg

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Wow...thats a long time, but I hear you. 

·