Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about cured, smoked picnic.

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
So I saw the cured, smoked picnic for .99/lb. Couldn't pas that up. Its one that requires cooking. While I'm perfectly happy to roast it as a ham, I wondered if anyone had cooked one to pulling temperature? I've not cooked a piece of cured pork to 195-ish, and so wonder if there's something about cured meat that would end up dry.

Thanks for any pointers.

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    If its cured and smoked, doesn't it just need warmed up? Does it say "country ham"? If so, it will be salty. Good if you like that way.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I found a reference that said cured, smoked but uncooked pork must have a "prominent" statement on the label that says "cook thoroughly." My eyes aren't so good any more, but I did find that statement at almost the end of the label text.

I've decided to try it "turbo" style. Its in the 325F Egg now, light coat of DP Pineapple-head. Will foil it at 160-ish, and unfoil at 190. Hopefully I won't get something w. the texture of jerky. If pullable, will mix the shreds w. a saltless sauce, because I do suppose it will be pretty salty.

If un-pullable, and way too salty, plan B is some re-heated shrimp bisque, and another entry into the "Little Green Book of Eggsperience."