Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seafood Paella! (pic)

Options
The cook didn't go perfect.  Bought a 15 in W&S paella pan and the lid wouldn't go down on my L BGE.  Just foiled it while rice set up.  Tasted amazing.  I used the naked whiz technique and the rice seemed to be dead on.  

Recipe include:
Arborio Rice (1 1/2 cup) (couldnt find bomba)
8 sea scallops
8 mussels 
12 shrimp
3 cups seafood stock
pinch of saffron (cost $5)
medium onion
6 cloves garlic
2 tomatoes
3-4 ounces of oyster mushrooms
olive oil
15 strips of red bell pepper

Heat seafood stock and add toasted pinch of saffron.  While I was doing that I got the egg to 400, closed the bottom vent and just opened the egg and kept it open(did mix the lump for even burn first) cooked the scallops and shrimp for 2 minutes and set aside.  Then I sautéed the onion and garlic until translucent, added tomatoes and mushrooms and sauteed for another 10 minutes(5-6 would have done, got a touch burnt while I was cleaning the mussels).  I then added the rice for about 2 minutes to the mixture and spread it out nice and even.  Poured the stock on it and gave it a little shake to even things out and then foiled over it for 10 minutes.  Stock had just gotten under the rice and I added the seafood and peppers.  Cooked for another 10-15 until the rice ws cackling and I couldn't run a fork smoothing through it. Turned out phenomenal!

Next time  I think I am going to add some smoked sausage and use whole prawns instead of shrimp.  

LBGE
Zionsville, IN

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's some nice lookin paella. Thanks for the recipe!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great! I love paella and need to make it again soon.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.