Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub for a boneless turkey breast

Grabbed a 3lb. Butterball boneless turkey breast to throw on the Egg tonight. Any suggestions on the rub? I'll have access to a DP dealer this afternoon. I'm fixin' to cook it 350 raised indirect and plan to use mesquite chunks to augment the flavor.. As always, any suggestion would be appreciated.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

I like 375/400 "direct" and raised on turkey. Here is the rub I use. Also I like a little cherry and pecan wood for smoke........very little...

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    How long on direct? I cook to temp. Looking at a ballpark time. And do you coat with anything before the rub (mustard or olive oil)?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • eggerbbq
    eggerbbq Posts: 27
    My favorite:

Olive oil all over. Rub:

1/4 cup sugar
    1 Tbsp Lawry's
    1 Tbsp garlic salt
    1 Tbsp celery salt
    1 Tbsp onion salt
    2 Tbsp paprika
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp lemon pepper
    2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp sage
    1/4 tsp mustard powder
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1/4 tsp cayenne

On grill at 225-250 for about three-four hours, depending on size of turkey breast.