Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

1 1/4" Fire bricks under XL - adequate to protect wood table & any hinge clearance issues?

I am going to use 1.25" fire bricks to support my XL in a cypress wood table. Two questions: Will that protect the wood below from charring or starting a fire? Not sure how much heat will transfer to table. Most people recommend a 2" paver - will the 1.25" height cause hinge issues by not clearing the table when opening? Thanks Mark
·

Comments

• twlangantwlangan Posts: 293
    I started out with my LBGE on fire bricks. On some high heat, longer cooks, I reached under the bench the Egg/bricks sat on and could feel that the wood was much warmer than I was comfortable with. I then put the three feet that came with the Egg between it and the bricks and that cured the problem. They allow a little air flow between the base and the bricks, keeping heat down. I would highly recommend doing this as a minimum. This will also cure any hinge clearance issue you may have without them. My hinge rubbed my table top slightly before adding the feet due to a slight miscalculation when I built my table.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,825
    You can't use feet for the XL. The distance between your bottom shelf and top determines more if if it will open or not than the paver. I measured mine wrong first and had to use 4 pavers for it to open correct then I raised the shelf 4" and I have just 1 paver. I had my original large on a piece of tile and it never started a fire so you are fine with 1 1/4".
    ·
  • I have my xl sitting on 2 tiles left over from my kitchen floor and the tiles sit on my wood table. Has been like that for about 2 years with no problems
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Here is a pic of mine. The pavers nor the nest were even warm this weekend when I was cooking. Mine are the 12x12.
    IMG_7555.JPG 267.7K
    ·