Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do your chain hang low?... small nest mods

I bought a new small egg last week, and was just itching to mod it for a couple of reasons:

- wanted some options for holding tools/accesories, like the ash tool, DFMT, etc
- it is hard to roll around the flagstone deck/patio of my pool - the wheels are ~3" and the nest rattles around a bit
- the egg was too snug in the nest, making removal difficult ( the goal is to have this be my travel egg)

I placed washers between each leg and the cross supports for the egg base:

Then placed a double hook on each of the front legs, with a chain running across. The BGE bolt was not long enough, so scrounged around for longer ones in my garage:

This now gives me a place to hang the DFMT when the ceramic cap is on.

As well as a spot to put the ash tool:

The chain serves as another handle to pull with when trying to coax it along the flagstones, and seems to work decently.

I would like to put larger wheels on it, but the only ones at Harbor Freight (with a stem/post) were 4" casters with a 1/2" post. The BGE stock casters are 3" and the post is 1/4" or so. I didn't feel like it was worth it to drill bigger holes in the nest legs to put in the slightly larger wheels.

I've been thinking about the Egg Carten, and I may actually pull the trigger on it. The washers made the fit between egg and nest less snug, but I may need to add another set of washers on each leg to get the fit just right.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Not as much of a problem with the small but please be careful. Many of eggs have died when nest tip over. That's what a nest handler is for. Not sure they make it for the small tho

Ps,
    Only could be better if it was a gold chain

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Not as much of a problem with the small but please be careful. Many of eggs have died when nest tip over. That's what a nest handler is for. Not sure they make it for the small tho Ps, Only could be better if it was a gold chain
    I hear ya - I have seen pics/posts of the aftermath of an egg tipover. I only use the chain for stability,not for the main force of pulling. I would probably get a nest handler if they made one for the small.  And yep, a gold chain would have been better, but I was trying to be modest!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited February 2013

You never want to pull an Egg by it's handle, use the hinge as a better option.

Switch that small nest to a bigger wheel, much nicer.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Nice job with the hooks and chain! If I didn't use the eggcarten I would definitely look into doing that to mine. I have plenty of spots to hang stuff on the lattice of my pergola when at home and usually have it in the eggcarten when I go mobile. I like the creativity!  =D> 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking

I might switch the chain around to the back then.  I wanted to switch to bigger wheels, but couldn't find anything bigger than 4" with a post for attachment. Wait a minute I may have an idea. 

Does anyone know what the 2nd hole about 1/3rd the way down the leg is for? What eggcessory attaches there?? You can see them in the second pic above.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Quick question to one of you Small owners. Is there a small version of the ash tool? The one which came with the large is too big for it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Solson005
    edited February 2013
    @Aviator yes there is three sizes one for the mini/ small, one for med/ large, and one for the XL

I find it easier to clean out the small from the top. I just put some latex gloves on and scoop everything out. 

@caliking I don't know what that hole is for but I'll search around and see if I can find anything. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Aviator
    @Solson, thanks, I just got off the BGE site and could not find it under accessories. Maybe a store will carry it.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:

I might switch the chain around to the back then.  I wanted to switch to bigger wheels, but couldn't find anything bigger than 4" with a post for attachment. Wait a minute I may have an idea. 

Does anyone know what the 2nd hole about 1/3rd the way down the leg is for? What eggcessory attaches there?? You can see them in the second pic above.

NO NO NO! Keep it in the front so you can get one of these:

• Solson005
    @Aviator AS is the big green egg part number/letters Ash/ small I assume. most dealers should have it or can order it for you. I actually got the large one from the dealer so I had two of the medium ones and just took a grinder and cut down one of them to fit the small better. Here is a link to All things BBQ that has can ship it to you. Thats where I found that picture. 
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I think the hole is for another brace if it was put in with the large egg kit. I think it's the same upright supports for all the nests
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Aviator said:

@Solson, thanks, I just got off the BGE site and could not find it under accessories. Maybe a store will carry it.

IMO, you're not missing much by not having the Small/Mini ash tool. I find it more of a pain to use than cleaning from the top. The tool has issues pulling ash over the lip of the Egg & out of the draft door. It is my least used accessory by far.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Aviator
    Thanks Guys.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Solson005 said:
    @Aviator yes there is three sizes one for the mini/ small, one for med/ large, and one for the XL 
    I did not know this!  I got the same for my small as the large (and I think it is the large size).  It is kind of a pain to clean with as it barely fits through the hole. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Aviator
    @Smokey, exactly.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Solson005
    @SmokeyPitt is still is a pain with the smaller one but a slightly less pain. I got the tool free so I just measured the small one at the store and cut it myself. I don't think I would buy it and very rarely use it but if thats your method it is better than the bigger one that barely fits. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2013
    Solson005 said:
    @SmokeyPitt is still is a pain with the smaller one but a slightly less pain. I got the tool free so I just measured the small one at the store and cut it myself. I don't think I would buy it and very rarely use it but if thats your method it is better than the bigger one that barely fits. 
    Good suggestion...I keep meaning to cut it or grind it one of these days!  Thanks!

Like you mentioned earlier- I too often just go ahead and pull out the fire bowl and clean from the top. I mainly use the ash tool when I have lump left over from the previous cook that I don't want to take out of the bowl. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• And this is what a shop vac is for :-h

XLBGE 
  • Applaud the effort but I wouldn't want to leave the daisy wheel exposed to the elements as it rusts pretty easily.  I always keep mine inside the egg when the ceramic top is on.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That second picture reminds me of a weekend in Vegas...at least i think it was Vegas.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    The ash tool for the small/mini should be at your dealer. It does have issues clearing the lip of the base, but seems to work ok for the large. If I lose it, I may not replace it - its good enough for government work. 

@Eggcelsior: chain stays on the front. Done. Now I have to scout around for the right bling. A dolla makes me holla!

JamRWS6:Good point about the DFMT being exposed to the elements. Will come in handy though if I am cooking without the DFMT though.

@Solson005 - let me know if you do find out what the second hole is for. A Handler for the small may not be a bad idea

• Solson005
    From what I can tell by pictures the small nest might share that piece with the medium nest, which they do make a handler for. I bet it would be too tall but it would be worth looking into if you wanted stability moving it around on your patio. I'll keep looking to see if I can find any pictures of mediums with nest handlers.
  • canegger
    edited February 2013
    On the instructions I got with my nest they talked about the extra hole and it was for the larger size eggs. It is for a extra cross brace. Same uprights in other nests
  • Solson005
    There we go, having bought both my eggs assembled I would have never known. Thanks @canegger
  • canegger
    No problem. My stuff was all shipped in boxes.
  • caliking
    Thanks @canegger and @Solson005.

The bright idea I had several posts up was to buy the bigger pneumatic swivel casters and rig them up with bolts, nuts and cross bracing. I found 8" pneumatics at Harbor Freight and was trying to make something like BobbyQ's all terrain nests. Don't think that will work for the small nest - they are too big. I might try 5" polyurethane casters if I can find any with a 3/8" stem. Found castercity.com from older threads, but haven't looked through that website yet. 

• @solson005
    where are those pics of nest with huge wheels on them you posted a week or two ago? I found them but cant copy them

XLBGE 
  • Solson005

These might help its on a XL nest but shows what can be done. Thanks for reminding me @MrCookingNurse
  • yup, those, thanks man. good luck caliking I will be putting my small together this weekend after i cut a hole in my table

XLBGE