Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Toy Story Birthday Party

We had my twins' 3rd birthday party today. With a Toy Story theme, we had to have Pizza Planet. We did 6 pies and they were a hit. Sorry, no pics. The pies were getting eaten as fast as I could cook them.

My last 2 pies gave me some trouble. I seemed to have a major hot spot on my stone. The last 2 bottoms stuck to the stone in the front left of the egg and burned. I was really puzzled. I turned the pies every couple of minutes. They shouldn't have burned, but they did. I ended up with half of a perfect bottom, and half burned. Any thoughts?

Setup was as follows. Platesetter legs down with stone raised on 1/2 inch spacers on top of the platesetter. Temp was around 600. It did sneak up to the 650-700 range toward the end. I turned the pies every 2 minutes.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• 500500 Posts: 1,198
    I have not perfected pizza yet, but to me it was too hot. I usually go 550*. When the pie goes on, it seems to drop to around 500*. That temp works well with me. I keep the parchment paper under them as a heat barrier as well for most of the cook. For what it's worth.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • Thanks, @500. I feel like I have "perfected" pizza. This one was just weird. I usually do 600 with no issue. I usually pull my parchment after a few minutes. My only thought is that my gasket is fried on that side, so air got in there and boosted the temp.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    Last cook I did in the 650-700° range the stone kept getting hotter and hotter as the cook went on I didn't get out my IR thermometer but the last couple pizzas were getting done faster than I wanted. I've seen some guys take a wet rag and using gloves or tongs get the stone damp in-between pizzas to help it from getting so hot. I might have to give that a try next time, so I don't know if it works or not. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • IMHO, use legs up when doing multiple pies. legs down for one or two. Use a damp cloth to wipe and cool the stone a bit on multiple pie cooks and keep the temp under the 600 mark, my target is always 500-550. If your stone is larger then your setter (excluding the legs of course) the edge of the stone could be exposed to direct burning lump with a legs down set-up, hence the stone gets hotter, maybe you had some lump burning on the left front... just a guess. 
    Sounds like a great party! Enjoy them they grow up too fast. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.