Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Broken platesetter fix

2»

Comments

• It looks good Chad!
    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • chad408chad408 Posts: 140

It looks good Chad!

Yea it came out nice glad I didn't have to spend the money on a new one
  • I decided to use JB weld on mine about 2 years ago....I've probably had my egg heated to 700 degrees over a hundred times since then and it has held up perfectly.
  • LitLit Posts: 4,118
    Jb weld works on plate setters but it failed the first cook on a fire box.
  • Mine broke 2 months ago.  Now I use my spider with fire brick for the same effect and it will never break.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,172
    Lit said:

Jb weld works on plate setters but it failed the first cook on a fire box.

I've heard elsewhere that eggs mended with JBWeld don't do well with high temp cooks.

I've used a foil wrapped clay saucer for a platesetter. The egg has been past 800- clocked the thermal and it was reading 200+. The clay saucer did fine.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • LitLit Posts: 4,118
    I kicked the leg off one of my large plate setters like 3 years ago and the jb weld has held up through multiple pizza cooks. The jb weld says its good to 600 degrees but I have done pizzas at 700 plus and it has held up. I am guessing 800-900 is the limit as I had my small at 700 dome which is 900 plus at the fire box and the fire box failed.
  • ...nice!!!
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

• DO you know where you get Omega-600? I don't seem to see it available online.
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,390
    Good info. Thx
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • http://www.omega.com/pptst/ob_bond_chem_set.html

I just found this. It may help a few folks.