Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Burnt/Bitter Steak Surface after Sear using T-Rex method - help

I've been using the T-Rex method and love the tenderness of the meat and flavor of the meet overall, but the sear step (1 minute to 90 seconds a side on 1.75 inch thick ribeyes) leaves the outer surface with a burnt taste and black grill marks. 

I use a lump reducer ring in my XL and put the cast iron grid directly on top of the reducer ring for the sear.

Any ideas or suggestions on what  I might be doing wrong?  I do the 400 degree portion of the cook on the normal grid at the normal position.

·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    Could be burnt seasoning. Try to season after the sear during the 400 deg roast.
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    U_tarded said:
    Could be burnt seasoning. Try to season after the sear during the 400 deg roast.
    My thoughts exactly... Anything but salt will burn during a high temp sear.
    ·
  • Thanks -  I am getting ready to throw one on with a new cast iron grid -  i will apply salt only -  will let you know how it goes!
    ·
  • I actually got the same results -  steak was great but still had the bitter black strips from sear
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,351
    I'd try less time (e.g. 30 - 45 secs) or raise the height of the grid.   Any chance you are knocking dust up into the air because the grate is on the ring? 

Do you have a spider or something that would be lower than normal but higher than directly on the ring?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • Do you wire brush your cast iron before you cook on it ? 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,301
    edited February 2013
    Are you adding wood to this fire? It should incinerate rather quickly, but it may leave a bitter taste from the VOC's burning off if you do it and then cook right away.
    ·
  • I used a brand new cast iron grate -  no wood added for sear -  i could raise the grate but i thought the idea was to get it as hot as possible.  I will try that today
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,301
    Also, did you use any oil on the meat? EVOO? It actually has a low smoke point and can cause that bitter flavor as well. Try brushing off the CI grid as stated if otherwise, and go for a lower time.
    ·