Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half-Moon Raised Grid Help!!

Options
Hello Forum,

i got the half-moon raised grid (HMRGL) as a gift for Christmas.  I am just now getting around to trying it out tonight.   Well, it doesn't fit.  The black drip pan fits inside the egg (just barely -- it's as tight as can be), however the raised grid itself DOES NOT fit.   Put it this way, the raised grip can basically rest on the felt ring.  In fact, the raise grid is like 1.25" longer than the drip pan.  It's literally too large to even get past the top of the egg (where the felt is).  Am I doing something wrong?   

All of the pictures suggest that the grid should easily fit into the Large BGE.   Either they accidentally labeled an XL Half-Moon Grid Extender with the L's label....or I have a manufactured defect....or I'm an idiot. 

Thanks!

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Sounds like you have an XL HM Raised Grid.  They fit with room to spare if correct size.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    "fit with room to spare" -- that's how it looks in the picture.  Thanks!  I think I got the Large Drip Pan and an XL grid. 
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited February 2013
    Options
    That's exactly what it sounds like - xl grid and large pan. I got a large one for Christmas too, and the drip pan fits perfectly into the grid, and it all easily fits on the large egg.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The half moon raised grid for the Large BGE is far smaller than the LBGE. When I got mine I thought they gave me one for a Medium. It measured only 15” in diameter. The dealer checked with his distributor and the explanation he got was: it is 15” so it would still fit when the main grate was installed at the felt line and the domed lid was closed over it. I'd bet money you got the XL version.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.