Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Needs Help With Ribs

Options
Hello everyone. 

I have had a Large for a little over a month now. I grill every weekend, but have only done hamburgers and steaks. I love it, but I am ready to try something new. 

I want to try ribs. I am picking up a platesetter and a rib rack on my way home tonight. 

I would like some advice from the more experienced folks here on the best method for cooking the ribs. I know to remove the membrane, but I need help concerning legs up or legs down on the platesetter. 

I also need to know at what temp. I should cook them and for how long. I am only using the dome gauge. I have a quick read pin, but that is all. 

So what do you guys recommend? I am so looking forward to giving ribs a try. Seriously I dream about the BGE at least four times a week. I think I am in love!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

Legs up with the standard cooking grig resting on the legs.  I do ribs around 275 dome.  Usually anywhere from 4 to 6 hrs.  They are done when you pick them up in the center and the fold over.  Google car wash mike's ribs.  That is the recipe/method i follow.  I usually do not mist or mop the ribs after the first 2 hrs.  You get a better crust without misting or mopping them.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks Mike!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I typically do pork spares. Go platesetter legs up. Put a drip pan with apple juice in it. Apple wood for smoke. Then grate on top of platesetter legs. If only doing a rack or two, done use a V rack IMO. I like them laying flat on the grate. I typically do mine at 250 dome. I follow 4-0-1. This means 4 hours with just the dry rub, zero hours with foil, then 1 hour with sauce on them. This achieves a tender rib, but one that needs  a bite to get the meat from the bone. If you want them to fall of the bone, incorporate foil into the rotation. Maybe 3-1-1. If you want to keep them moist, some spritz with apple juice and apple cider vinegar every hour, but not really necessary. Good luck and let us know how you decide to do them.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2013
    Options

This is so easy///I like easy....

Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 INDIRECT and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack (if you want sauce, the pictured rib were not sauced). This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I might do some baby backs this weekend. Time I branch from pork spares some.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JayHawkEye
    Options
    Car Wash Mike is a great place to start. Personally, I don't like the foiling of ribs because I think it makes them too fall-off-the-boney (i.e. overcooked) for my taste. Some people love their ribs that way. You're making them, cook them to your desired doneness. As long as they pass the bend test you'll be fine.
    275 dome is as good as any temp to start with. I've never had as good of luck going lower than 250, but I've gone as high as 350 with very good results.
    I AM a proponent of removing the plate setter and cooking them direct (sauces or in-sauces) for just a tiny bit to finish them.
    Good luck! I'm hungry now...
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    There are dozens of ways that are going to turn out great ribs. Mine, 4 hours bones down @ 250. I use the mustard and I like Byrons Butt Rub, Yardbird, Dizzy Dust. Any number of others that are out there will do great. if your doing many racks, put them in a rack, but I would rotate them part way through.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Oops, I should say BB's. Other cuts will take longer.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2013
    Options
    A friend told me I could do beef just like the above Turbo Ribs. If the store has them I will give it a try..... Turbo Beef Ribs. Think I will use a coffee rub and not the Bad Byrons Butt Rub I used on the BB's...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. You guys have given me great advice, and I appreciate it! 

I can't wait to give it a try.

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. You guys have given me great advice, and I appreciate it! 

I can't wait to give it a try.
    We can't wait to see your pictures! I'm sure they will be great
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    Again...try this. It works great and gives consistent results. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q9cKLjWlF10 Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING