Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy wheel and high temp fire grate

Options
Good afternoon Eggers I have a couple of ??? Dropped my daisy wheel and cast iron loops broke off so the spring loaded handle will not reattach, daisy wheel still works fine, any advice on who to go to for replacement or not worry about it? Secondly, anybody used the stainless high temp fire grate, if so,please share your experience. Thanks and have a great weekend Culdesacera

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    High-Que fire grate in MBGE, works very well for low and slow, not a huge difference noted in the high temp cooks. With the OEM cast grate on low temp cooks, I had a wiggle rod, where you reach in through the lower vent and "shake" the coals to keep it going with even temps. Since using the High-Que, do not need the wiggle rod. Some say they use more charcoal, but is not my observation.

The DFMT can be purchased if you have $30 burning a hole in your pocket, else I'd not worry about. Maybe use something (oven mitts?) to get it off and drop on the ceramic cap when snuffing the egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can buy a replacement, but I wouldn't worry about it. I presume you are talking about the "handle" for the daisy wheel that allows you to pick it up. The only issue would be it getting to hot to grab, say, if you want to shut down the egg by putting the rain cap on. Just use a oven mitt or grill glove for this.

I have the High-Cue grate and I love it. I had issues with the original grate and fires going out on low-and-slows from too much ash build up. This was the lumps fault, but I wanted something that would be able to compensate for it. It gets up to temp very quickly, which is really nice. For me, the only downside is that it doesn't "seat" on the fire box like the CI one does, so I have to be careful when stirring old lump. Otherwise, it slides up if bumped and lump can fall down. This does not happen very often(only twice since I got it last summer), but it is a possibility.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I bought a High-que for my small egg when I first got. Everyone says it works great for the smaller eggs and I haven't even used the stock one on the small to compare the two, it does get up to temp quickly but is also smaller than the large. I thought about getting one for my large but haven't had any issues so I never did. If you take off your daisy wheel often I would get a new one if not I probably wouldn't worry about it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2013
    Options
    You don't  have to use it. I don't use it. Lots don't use it. No worries..... Have High-Que in both Larges and in the Mini...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Huge High-Que fan here. Had trouble with ash buildup on the mini before I got it; now I rarely take the whole egg apart to clean. Last night we were ready to cook at 500 on the mini about 15 minutes after I lit it; I could never get such a quick reaction with the standard grate. I have it on the large, too, and I like it there as well, but it makes an enormous difference on the smaller eggs.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    My handle fell off. Somehow got loose. I just bent it back enough to make it hold. Al good now

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Just make a new one out of a coat hanger!! ;))
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Sorry. I tried to cancel this post, but it will not let me.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Thanks to all for your help, I'm going to bypass the daisy wheel and use the $$$ to buy a new fire grate....will report back Have a great weekend and thanks again Culdesacer
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    I dropped mine and broke the loops also....I got some JB Weld reattached the loops put the handle back on and its just like new. get you some JB Weld and you will be set.
    Brandon, MS