Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

expensive lump

There's a place literally a few miles from my hacienda that makes small batch lump...but $50 for 12lbs?

Along with Shagbark, we also sell Apple, Cherry, Peach, Pecan, and Sugar Maple Lump Charcoal.

I want some but....
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Sounds intriguing, but I cringe spending dealer prices for BGE lump, and that's twice as much lump for half the price you are discussing around here.  I will stick to Wal-Mart Royal Oak myself.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Picked up 3 bags of Fronteir Lump.  35lbs for 19.99.

Never used it.  But happy as a clam.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Would you think that cooking with expensive charcoal would make the food taste better?  I would think that once the wood has been turned to charcoal there it would be difficult to pick up the subtle difference from one wood to another.

Gerhard 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    For that money, you could make your own. I've honestly thought of digging a pit and give making my own coal a shot. It's burnt wood...not rocket science.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182
    However, any time you can buy anything you want/need from any source other than WM-I'm all in.  Personal deal here and I won't reply to any additional posts related to the WM topic...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Totally agree lousubcap, Only thing I buy at WM. It's just a economic fact that when I can get 8.8 pounds of lump for five bucks where every where else in town lump is over $1.25/ pound I have to do it.  Once a year Menards runs a special on Royal Oak Steakhouse lump for 4 bucks a bag and I typically buy 15-20 bags then. When I run out I have to go to that evil place.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I was at menards earlier today and saw they only had green bags of Royal Oak lump. It wasn't the steakhouse brand lump. Is the green bag lump the same as BGE lump? I checked Nakedwhiz and they had really good reviews for the Royal Oak red bag lump but didn't have Royal Oaks green bag.
    XL BGE
  • I know the steakhouse lump has been in a green bag the last three years or so, perhaps they are changing the marketing of it?
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482

I know the steakhouse lump has been in a green bag the last three years or so, perhaps they are changing the marketing of it?

Yep. I had bought several bags of the Steakhouse lump in the green bags a few years ago. These green bags didn't say "Steakhouse" on them though. Is Royal Oak still selling lump in Red bags? Haven't seen any for a while now.
    XL BGE
  • The one's my wife picked up from Wal-Mart yesterday were the regular reddish-orange that I've always seen there. Unfortunately I don't have a wide variety of retail establishments that sell decent lump in my area.  Ace Hardware used to be able to get Wicked Good, but doesn't seem to be able to any more.  Lowes and Home Depot's brands aren't great, one of them is Cowboy and the other brand escapes me at the moment.  And as much as I'd like to buy BGE from the dealer, I just can't afford it as much as I cook.  It's twice as much as the Royal Oak and seems to be about the same quality. Maybe a few larger pieces in the BGE bags but that's about it.