Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Very happy with first pork butt!!! (pic heavy)

I have to say my first pork butt was quite the experience.  I needed it done early last Friday morning as I was leaving around noon for an ice fishing trip.  Based on everything I've read, I was figuring between 13-16 hours for the cook.  I put it on Thursday night at 6:00 after getting it all settled in at 250* on the grate.  Well after getting to sleep around 11:30, I woke up at 3:50am and decided to have a peak at the iPad to see what I was working with.  Well the temp had crept up to 240* (I realize this is not big deal), but the meat was now at 192.  I thought to myself, this could be done at anytime as I wanted to pull it at 200.  Needless to say, I barely slept a wink before I decided at 7:30 to pull it off at 197, when it began to drop from the 199 it was at for a while.  Decided to FTC it for a few hours while I tried to catch a bit more sleep.  Here are the results.  Mixed some apple chunks and hickory chips throughout the lump.  After pulling it, I kept it cold in a foil container and reheated it the next day for a couple hours at 250*.  I can't wait to do this again, although next time I'll be happy to put it in around midnight and sleep like a baby.  I also can't get over how much lump I had left after 13.5 hours from the time I first lit it.  Visual proof:

LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,301
    Nice! I love the "ice beach" feel of the last pic.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,438
    What part of Texas are you in?   Real nice cook man....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,628
    Nice "pull"...the last photo looks mighty cold though.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·