Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Dish Homerun!

Options
For the Super Bowl, I decided that I'd christen the cast iron skillet I got for Christmas, and try @Zippylip 's deep dish recipe.  It's always a little nerve-wracking trying something completely new.  The pressure was on, too, since I'd been hyping it up all week.  It wasn't a mistake free cook, but the final product was incredible.  

I made 3/4 of the pie with just mushrooms, and the rest with pepperoni, and sweet Italian sausage.  I put a layer of cheese directly on the dough, then the toppings, then the sauce, then another layer of mozzarella.  In order to make my pizza look like the pictures I'd seen online, I went through almost two full 8 oz bags of mozzarella.  It seemed like a lot, but the overflowing cheese is key.  When it melts against the cast iron, it makes it crusty and crunchy and perfect.  

Now for the mistakes.  The recipe I followed is for a 10.5 inch skillet, which is what I thought I had.  Apparently mine is a 12" skillet.  I know I wasn't supposed to mess with the dough once it was in the skillet, but I was afraid it wouldn't be enough.  I lightly worked it towards the edges, and then started putting toppings on.  It ended up not being that big of an issue. 

I put it on at about 450, with the PS legs down, and several balls of foil for spacers.  I pulled it off right at 35 minutes.  The cheese was just starting to brown around the edges.  The plan was to transfer it to a cookie grid and let it cool down for a few minutes.  I must not have oiled down the pan well enough, because it didn't break too cleanly.  The pre-transfer picture is definitely prettier than the post-transfer.  No matter though, because it was delicious! 

We went to Chicago last summer, and I thought this was better than anything I got downtown.  Way, way better.  I remember Chicago deep dish being heavy, and dry and thick.  This was light, and chewy and buttery.  The bottom of the crust was a crunchy and crispy, golden brown.  Paired with the burnt cheese melted on the skillet, this was crazy good.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Great looking pie!  Love zippy's dough!  Good job!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Looks good. You used sauce which is always good, try it with well drained whole tomatoes that you crush up a little, let them sit in a sieve to drain for awhile. Really adds a nice touch to the deep dish. Maybe a 14 oz can for a 10-12" pie. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jgdusc
    jgdusc Posts: 22
    Options

Had to get a napkin for my keyboard.  They don't make a drool sheild.  Outstanding!

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, Stoker Wifi, White Thermapen, Igrill---Gilbert SC
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great! Pizza on the egg is one of my favorite things! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.