Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing brine?

Options
Doing some wings (and a pork butt) tomorrow for some football game. What is a good brine for dropping the wings in tonight? I plan on letting them air dry in the fridge tomorrow. Thanks!
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    basic brine, 1 cup kosher salt to 1 gallon water, 1/2 cup sugar.  from there its your imagination, if you want spicy puree a few habaneros 2 or 3 will only add slight heat. garlic, cloves, ginger, basil, thyme rosemary, citrus, soy sauce are all good.   sometimes i do 1/2 apple juice 1/2 water.  think flavors you like and have fun.  the wings will on really need like a 2-3 hour bath in the brine since they are usually pretty small.  one thing i like to note big flavor in a brine transmits to little changes in end product other than salt.
  • ashivers40
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    basic brine, 1 cup kosher salt to 1 gallon water, 1/2 cup sugar.  from there its your imagination, if you want spicy puree a few habaneros 2 or 3 will only add slight heat. garlic, cloves, ginger, basil, thyme rosemary, citrus, soy sauce are all good.   sometimes i do 1/2 apple juice 1/2 water.  think flavors you like and have fun.  the wings will on really need like a 2-3 hour bath in the brine since they are usually pretty small.  one thing i like to note big flavor in a brine transmits to little changes in end product other than salt.
    What do you mean big flavor in a brine transmits to little changes to end product?  Are you saying it is pointless to add herbs and seasonings to the brine and just use salt, water and sugar???
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have a confession..... I have never brined anything in my life.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

U_tarded said:

What do you mean big flavor in a brine transmits to little changes to end product?  Are you saying it is pointless to add herbs and seasonings to the brine and just use salt, water and sugar???

Yes, basically like if you want spicey and add jalopenos or habaneros I use like 6 habaneros puréed it gives it just a slight heat in the end. Herbs transmit a bit better but that is why pictures of brines so large batches of rosemary and thyme etc.