Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on pork butt

I have done 5 or 6 butts since getting my XL at the end of summer, but they all have been around 5lbs. I have one pushing 11 and by what I have expereiced with the smaller ones I figure this one should take ball park 20 hours? I usually run around 250 at the grate not dome. I am just look for some validation.

Comments

• Sounds about right to me.  I usually run in the same ballpark for temp and would plan 18-20 hours for that one.  
  • Thanks. I appreciate it. I thought I was figuring that out correctly.

• RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    I have found that it is not necessarily a linear scale. I find that the additional time to finish as the butt gets larger is not a simple addition of time. I would keep a close eye on it. I have had some of them get done hours and hours earlier than I had estimated. luckily you can just foil and cooler it to hold.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • I have done 5 or 6 butts since getting my XL at the end of summer, but they all have been around 5lbs. I have one pushing 11 and by what I have expereiced with the smaller ones I figure this one should take ball park 20 hours? I usually run around 250 at the grate not dome. I am just look for some validation.
    You might want to do a search on "Turbo Butts". have seen several threads on this technique, going 350* dome indirect. I have yet to try it but all the comments about it were positive. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,616
    I just put a turbo butt in the cooler. 6lb bone in. Start to finish 5.5 hours. Followed @Mickey's instructions. Will let you know how it turned out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    We want pics please
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks for all the input. It is greatly appreciated