Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing Question

Options
I plan on cooking multiple batches of wings for Super Bowl Sunday. I plan on making @cazzy's wings, @necessaryindulgence's sticky wings, and some good old fashioned buffalo wings.

I plan on cooking them indirect for an hour at 400. Can I FTC them and still keep them crispy?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    How long are you planning on FTC? Make your marinade for cazzys wings now and let the chili flakes steep for a few days, he recommended I do that the first time I made them and it made quite a difference the second time around. I also recommend using his baste at 10, 15, and 20 mins makes the color come out and give it a real good coat of sauce. I used to manage Buffalo Wild Wings years ago and we would keep wings in the warming drawer no longer than 20 mins to serve fresh, that is at a restaurant that serves wings as its main attraction so you could probably get away with 30-45 mins but there isn't much meat to work with so I would try not to do it for too long. People will eat good room temp wings just as fast at a party I have found... 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I think the foiling will make the skin soft. May crisp back up if you finish in the oven at a high temp but you may risk drying them out....
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @cortguitarman I haven't specifically tried those recipes, but they do look awesome. I've had good luck with wings raised, indirect at 350 for 1 hour then remove stone (or PS) and crisp them up raised direct for 10-15 minutes. This has produced a wing that has great texture, is not fatty tasting or feeling and has nice crisp skin for me.

Don't know for sure but I think FTC would decrease the crispiness and make the skin a little more chewy/leathery.

Good luck and hit us with some pics when you're done.

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI