Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Sous vide hmmmmm???

I am having such a hard time trying to understand this little hot tub thing. When the tub arrived I started reading and it scared the daylights out of me with all the talk about salmonella and pasteurizing. I read my books and searched the Internet for some common ground as to temperature and time. I did some turkey tenders according to a recipe for turkey breast in the Modernist Cuisine at home. 135 for 2 1/2 hours. That didn't work. Bagged it back up and cooked it at 138 for another 2 hours. Very good. I loved it but MDSH wouldn't touch it - it was pink which is what the book said it would be. How do I know the starting temperature for different cuts of meat and still be sure I'm not growing funny things?
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,125

You can get a hard copy of this book from Amazon, here's the online version.

Another book I have from Amazon is Beginning Sous Vide by Jason Logsdon, both have recipes, but also general cooking time and temp. tables. I do boneless skinless breasts @ 147 for 2 hours then sear and they are great.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • LitLit Posts: 4,614
    My sous vide supreme came with a book that says lowest safe temp and lowest time and then tells you max time also. There are also plenty of books about sous vide. 138 seems low to me. I haven't done turkey but chicken it says 146 for minimum 1 hour. I usually do 146 for just under 2 hours for chicken breasts then sear/smoke on the egg.
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,472
    Billyray,  I will check out the books.  Thanks.

Lit, I found the SVsupreme Cooking table tonight.  I think it has the most reasonable cooking times and temps. I thought the turkey tempt was a little too low also but the book said that turkey breast cooks to a lower temp that chicken.  Thanks.
  • LitLit Posts: 4,614
    There was a sous vide scrambled egg recipe I posted on here a couple months back that is the best eggs I have ever had and its simple. Eggs are another thing the sous vide does well.
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,472
    Love eggs.  I'll look for it. ;;)