Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHARCOAL STORAGE. What do you have?

I would like to be able to sort out the big chunks store my charcoal.  A water tight and pet proof container would be a plus.  I am sure some of you out there have spent more time thinking about this than I have.  What kind of solutions have your been satisfied with...
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I have a plastic charcoal container. Works pretty good
  • I use a rubber maid storage bin, nothing fancy but it works.

• An old 22" Weber kettle makes a good lump sorter, dump in and let the cooking grate sift the dust and small stuff out.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I just keep it in bags in the shed, but I like the idea of dumping it into a rubber maid bin.  Would be easier to handle and would be stackable with other stored items. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • I ended up buying a tote made by kings ford. It holds 22 lbs. of lump and is weather proof. It has a handle so all you do is open lid grab handle and dump. I often grab the large chunks as they come out and keep them for longer cooks. But I am not as fussy as I used to be about my fires. It is nice to have a nice stash of larger lump for sure.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    dump and burn. if filling the mini, when I come across larger chunks, I toss them in the large.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Have never sorted my lump.  Knock the ash off the old, fill'er up again, light and burn.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • I don't sort my lump, but I do empty into a milk crate to sift the dust. I also store in a rubbermaid tote.
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I used to sort my charcoal but it was a waste of time.  I now use Humphrey's charcoal which is mostly large pieces.  I have 2 Kingsford charcoal bins that I bought at Lowes.  I saw that someone mentioned they hold 22 pounds, but mine only hold a little over 10 pounds each.  They stay out on my deck through all kinds of weather and keep the charcoal dry.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390

I would like to be able to sort out the big chunks store my charcoal.  A water tight and pet proof container would be a plus.  I am sure some of you out there have spent more time thinking about this than I have.  What kind of solutions have your been satisfied with...

Thanks in advance.
    Nope, this bit right here shows quite a bit more thought than I ever put into storage of lump.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I use my Car Hold, Open it go inside get the lump, dump and then burn. Repeat Process.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Not this guy. Zero thought-- open bag, dump in charcoal, roll bag down and set it on the porch.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

I have a plastic deck box and inside that I keep a cheap tote and I keep the lump in that.  Sometimes I will dump and sort if the bag has too many small pieces, but usually I just dump from the bag.  I have the hi-q grate so I find it doesn't matter so much. 

The deck box is a nice cheap solution for lump, chips, and a few accessories and provides and extra place to sit down :).

The top of the tote is handy for raking the ash into and also to use as a fan to speed up the light time.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited January 2013
    Chubbs said:

Not this guy. Zero thought-- open bag, dump in charcoal, roll bag down and set it on the porch.

Same. I dont pour at end to avoid dust, but that's it.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    2 5 gallon buckets with the bottom cut out of one and replaced with a piece of expanded metal to sort the dust and small pieces into the second bucket.  
  • Thank you all.  I might just be convinced to stay a bag man.  If it isn't broke.....
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I use a truck bed box on the deck for lump storage, flavor woods, plate setter storage, propane bottle and weed burner for lighting; everything for working the Egg.  Got it at Harbour Freight.  Water tight, with a shock absorber hinged door.  In the camp of don't sort anymore.  I will clean the Egg out completely for low and slow, but other than that, it's stir the old and dump new.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Another vote for dump and light here.

Not directed at the OP....I don't see what all the fuss is about....I'm mean keep it simple....or butt a stump!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    AleBrewer said:

Not directed at the OP....I don't see what all the fuss is about....I'm mean keep it simple....or butt a stump!
    That is easy. Some folks don't have a garage, tool shed or basement or trees. Or they have them but is a long trudge out to the Egg.

As for me: I kept mine in my basement until my bulkhead froze solid a few winter'ss ago. Then I kept it behind the seats in my pickup. Frozen truck doors cured me of that. This year I am trying the Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy that @Devilledegger mentioned above. I got two of them in October and so far so good. Lowes carries them around here. If you get the right combination of freezing temps, rain and winds I am guessing these could freeze up too, so I keep one 22# bag on WGWW in the basement as an emergency supply.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • I keep my charcoal in the garage.  Once I open a bag I dump the remainder into a large plastic bin with a lid.
  • I am a stir, dump and light guy but here is good container from Lowes.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I use two of the containers shown above from Lowes.  One for lump, one for smoking wood.  Up here in the rainy PNW, everything has stayed dry.  When I was using the high que grate, I used the double bucket method mentioned above to sort out the dust from the smaller pieces that fell through.  I have gone back to the original grates and no longer feel the need to sift...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    jfm0830 said:
    AleBrewer said:

That is easy. Some folks don't have a garage, tool shed or basement or trees. Or they have them but is a long trudge out to the Egg.

Jim
    Ehh....it wasn't really directed at anybody in this thread.....it's a para-phrase from another thread.