Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One Pan Roast Chicken & Vegetables

Options

My wife was watching an episode of Cook's Country with a quick chicken and vegetables recipe (video from that episode is here).

She wanted to cook it and of course I said let's try it on the Egg!

I cut up the chicken while she prepped the veggies. While I got the Large Egg lit and up to temp with a couple of chunks of peach wood, she brushed the chicken with the butter & herbs. Onto the Egg went the veggies in a drip pan on top of the ceramic feet & platesetter:

Above the veggies went the chicken:

They cruised along at 475-480:

34 minutes later I checked the chicken IT and they were done:

The veggies looked good:

Here's my plate:

The veggies were tasty but we should have done a better job organizing them with the larger potatoes and carrots on the outer perimeter for more heat (or cut them a little smaller). We both felt the chicken could use a little more seasoning or some rub. Overall it was a good quick cook and we will definitely be doing this again.

Thanks for looking!

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• SamFerrise
    Options
    After chicken is done I cook veggies a bit more in the juices.  Awesome!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Outstanding looking spread! Great pix too!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I think it looks great. My wife likes brussel sprouts. I've never had them where I've liked them, but have been wanting to try again lately. Think we might try this out soon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great!  I love chicken over veggies.  I too have found that cutting the taters a little smaller helps get them a little more done compared to the veggies.  I guess you could also give the taters a little head start on the egg or even par-boil them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Griffin said:

I think it looks great. My wife likes brussel sprouts. I've never had them where I've liked them, but have been wanting to try again lately. Think we might try this out soon.

Thx Jason! I'm not the biggest brussel sprout fan either but I did eat these.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Great looking cook !

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• cscottrun
    Options
    Question - what is the metal frame in the top photo with the handles?  Is it for picking up the grate, the plate setter, or the drip pan?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Looks like an adjustable rig from ceramic grill store.

EDIT: Check that, it is a Woo
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    cscottrun said:
    Question - what is the metal frame in the top photo with the handles?  Is it for picking up the grate, the plate setter, or the drip pan?

probably woo or PSwoo...OP says he used platesetter and cant use Adjustable Rig with PS.
  • freduc2
    freduc2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Great cook, that looks fantastic. Think I'll try that this week.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    cscottrun said:

It is a PS Woo 2 which is great for handling a hot plate setter (and anything sitting on the plate setter or cooking grid).

Bay Area, CA
  • NEWB_IN_NOLA
    Options
    I did this last night with sweet potato chunks below two spatchcock chickens at 400 indirect.  The sweet potatoes were really tasty, but I would prefer them to have crisper skin.

We too had brussel sprouts, but they were raw, shaved, drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice, salt, pepper and then topped with some microplaned aged gouda.  I really dislike veggies, but to my surprise found that this salad is really quite tolerable.  It has good texture and flavor.  I would recommend trying it out sometime as a quick and easy side.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams