Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First reflections on the XL

The Virginian
The Virginian Posts: 275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear All, [p]Last Saturday I lugged home an XL from the Eggfest in Waldorf. I have been playing with temperature control,and have cooked a few things. Temp control has been no problem. I have kept it at 200 for an 2 hours, and at 450 for a whole afternoon, and several temp levels inbetween. It does take a while to cool down with all that mass once you get it up into the higher temperature realms. Temp seems to be pretty even across the grill, though I mean to measure that with my redicheck this weekend. [p]I love the extra acreage on the grill! I justified getting the beast for competitions, but I can already see the extra space coming in very handy at home. I expect to throw 3 rack of ribs on the thing this weekend, and just lay them flat on the grill: no rib rack, no cutting off ends to make them fit: joy! I think I will also hook it up to the guru this weekend, fill her up, and see how many hours she goes on a full load of lump at 230 degrees. I should probably throw a lot of meat in there to justify the effort, but really I am more interested in just playing with it at this point to see what it can do. [p]This is fun. More later if I find interesting things to share. [p]Brett
Free Range BBQ[p]

Comments

• The Virginian,[p]Brett, Keep us posted on your experiences. We have had our Large for appx 3 months and are loving it. Since my Saturday run to The Fresh Market in Birmingham for meat, I've cooked 2 boston butts, 2 boneless turkey breasts, NY Strips, Chicken Kabobs, Tilapia on maple plank and about 6 lbs of bacon. Sunday dinner, my wife wanted tilapia and my daughter chicken kabobs. So I cooked theirs and then cranked it up and TRexed a filet for myself. Wife is in agreement that we need another BGE so I'm trying to make up my mind between another large or to move up to the XL.[p]I know I tend to want the XL because its the largest (I have a habit of always wanting the biggest/most expensive). I also am concerned about the accessories available for the XL. Is there a cast iron grill yet? [p]
    I'd be interested in any other comments that you have on the XL[p]thanks,
    Mark

• Julie R
    Julie R Posts: 39
    Bama Hosta Man,
    We just got our first one for the show floor in today. Yes, it has the cast iron grate. The only Egg-cessories listed on the lastest BGE sheet is the Egg nest. Measure the difference between the grilling surface to the top of dome. You will notice you have lost about 1-1/2". Be careful when thinking about doing a turkey on the VTR.
    Julie