Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Nest & Egg Anchoringc Decision Follow Up - NOT Going Strapless

Options
Earlier this week I posted a thread where I asked about people setting their Egg on a Table Nest only with no additional anchoring. I got lots responses, which is why I'm following up here. The question of the time was whether I could remove an anchor that tied the metal band of the egg to the side of the higher table next to it. This anchor strap would interfere with putting the cover on the table. I decided to go strapless after a number of people posted that they were able to use their Eggs without an additional anchor strap and what was different about that than putting it on the ground?

I got a call from my BGE dealer yesterday that my cover had arrived. Before I left the house I went out to the Egg and took the strap off so I could just come home and put the cover on. Things seemed sturdy enough with the lid down, but to my surprise when I raised the lid the Egg was borderline unstable. If I had raised the lid with slightly more force the Egg would've just kept going right over backwards. This was not good so we had a reversal of my original decision: I kept the strap and had the dealer hook me up with the new short cover that goes just over the domed lid and about three or 4 inches below it.

So for me on my particular base cabinet, using my particular Table Nest the Large felt like a could tip over if you raise the lid too fast. And I'm not talking jerking it either. I wasn't so much concerned about that, as I was about having the lid up someday and having a gust of wind come along and blow it right over. I don't think it would take much. I must admit when I set up the aid the first time around, I put the strap on before I put that the metal ring and dome on.. So I hadn't actually tested it in action before yesterday. Your mileage may vary, but I'd suggest thoroughly checking it out.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.