Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheating...but still very good

Still a newbee with the BGE (six cooks in a couple of weeks), but this is the first time for a pizza. I cheated, though. I cooked a large one from Aldi. 375* for 14 minutes. Love the crispy crust!

Question: the cheese was a little too smoky. Is there a way to avoid that? Can I go 400* for less time and have it turn out okay?

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited January 2013
    Dude you can go to 700* if you want!!
    I usually do around 500-550 for Digonero box frozen but thawed or homemade dough I just let it rip 600-700. Timing on these pizzas is minutes. There are definitely some kinks to work through. It's a task to perfect the homemade pizza!!

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The lower the temp, the more the time, hence the more the smoke taste. 

Try 500-550 as a target cook temp, to reduce smoke, just like the Nurse Man says.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dude you can go to 700* if you want!! I usually do around 500-550 for Digonero box frozen but thawed or homemade dough I just let it rip 600-700. Timing on these pizzas is minutes. There are definitely some kinks to work through. It's a task to perfect the homemade pizza!!
    I agree with your temperature info.  Frozen pizza is just plain disgraceful!  For shame!  For shame!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the help. Yes, I know frozen pizza is shameful...but sometimes taking the easy and simple way has to happen. I will be trying homemade, though. Probably soon!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Lately, I have been doing deep dish in a cast iron skillet. So freaking easy, and so good. Attached pic is from last night. Just throw some olive oil in the skillet, swirl it to coal bottom and sides. Throw in dough ball and spread with fingers. Coat with whatever you want. Just make sure the cheese goes to the edges because it burns into the crust and it is amazing.

This one was cooked at 500 for 30 minutes. Perfect crust every time with this method. Plus it allows you to add a lot of ingredients to the pie without uneven cooking.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013