Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Small set up??

Is the general thought on here to skip the plate setter and get the woo and stone from CGS.com?

Any bge accessories needed for the small? Picking mine up Saturday.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,047
    edited January 2013

High Que is very much needed in the Mini / Small / & not as much in the Large but still  needed.

And yes to your question.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Mickey said:

High Que is very much needed.

And yes to your question.

good advice there...get a second stone...one for indirect piece and one to cook pizzas (or whatever) on.
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,908
    edited January 2013

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 745
    Yes and yes to the hi-que.
    ·
    Yes to the High Que. You will be very happy with it.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,523
    The stock charcoal grate on the small is totally useless. High Que first for sure.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,523
    The stock charcoal grate on the small is totally useless. High Que first for sure.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,683

I am waiting on my high que for my large. I finally split the stock grate and have to say goodbye

I never had issues with air flow, but might as well upgrade.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Is your other egg a large? If so, get the CI grate for double duty with large spider for searing.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,653
    edited January 2013

Bought the High Que for my small before picking it up in Georgia....should have waited.  I have no problems hitting 600 with the woo 8.5" stone on the bottom and 12" BGE stone on top, standard CI charcoal grate.  Stir-fried Kung Pao Chicken and Jean Yueh's Beef with onions and peppers from The Breath of a Wok during the entire eggfest with no problems.

Switched back to the standard grate.  Found I was cleaning out the small every other cook with the High-Que. 

Many have had issues I believe d/t the small platesetter restricting airflow.

I lay a 12" pao style hand-hammered carbon steel wok from The Wok Shop directly on the grid for stir fry.

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-our-hand-hammered.html

The 5 quart double dutch oven on amazon is a perfect fit.  The lid doubles as a nonhandled skilet.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-5-Quart-Double-Casserole-Skillet/dp/B000LEXR0K/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357603860&sr=1-1&keywords=double+dutch+oven

A #12 vintage round griddle pictured on the left below is used the most.

002.JPG 2M
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,757
    @Mickey I gotta disagree with you on the gate for the mini. I have no problem with temps. If any, it's keeping the temp down.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
    Griffin said:

@Mickey I gotta disagree with you on the gate for the mini. I have no problem with temps. If any, it's keeping the temp down.

I have them on both my Minis. Found them a world of difference after adding the first one. But that's just me. I do recommend them to everyone for the Mini and Small. I suggest to Large owners.

·