Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

FTC Question and Prime Rib

First of all, thank you to all the eggperts out there who take the time to help others out.  I've been lurking on the board for the past six months and have learned a lot from all of you.  Because of you, I have ventured past using my LBGE for "just grilling and smoking".

Now for my newbie question...I'm planning on cooking a prime rib on my LBGE, then using the FTC method to transport dinner to the parent's house for New Years.  After reading the board, my plan is to pull the roast at 125 degrees, let stand for a bit, then FTC (adding a wrapped, heated fire brick to the cooler to hold temps a little longer than 4 hours if needed).  I've done this with ham in the past with great success.

My concern is will the internal temp of the prime rib increase using this method?  Also, should I skip the resting period and go straight to FTC?

Thanks for all the help!

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    That sounds like a good plan.  Wrap the bricks in a towel separately and throw them in the bottom of the cooler.  You can also dump some boiling water in the cooler and pre-heat it.  Once you get to your destination, you can put the PR in the oven to keep it warm.

·
  • WylecyotWylecyot Posts: 103
    Thanks Nola!  Appreciate the fast reply!
    ·