Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC Question and Prime Rib

Options
First of all, thank you to all the eggperts out there who take the time to help others out.  I've been lurking on the board for the past six months and have learned a lot from all of you.  Because of you, I have ventured past using my LBGE for "just grilling and smoking".

Now for my newbie question...I'm planning on cooking a prime rib on my LBGE, then using the FTC method to transport dinner to the parent's house for New Years.  After reading the board, my plan is to pull the roast at 125 degrees, let stand for a bit, then FTC (adding a wrapped, heated fire brick to the cooler to hold temps a little longer than 4 hours if needed).  I've done this with ham in the past with great success.

My concern is will the internal temp of the prime rib increase using this method?  Also, should I skip the resting period and go straight to FTC?

Thanks for all the help!

Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan.  Wrap the bricks in a towel separately and throw them in the bottom of the cooler.  You can also dump some boiling water in the cooler and pre-heat it.  Once you get to your destination, you can put the PR in the oven to keep it warm.
    Options
    Thanks Nola!  Appreciate the fast reply!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles