Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Spare rib ?

Should I cook st Louis style spareribs the same as I would baby back ribs? I use car wash mikes recipe for baby back ribs and cook them vertically. Shall I cook spareribs horizontally?

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,008
    The primary diff. between St. Louis spares and BBs, cooked in the same manner, is that the spares take about an hour longer. If cooking w. a period in foil, add the extra time before placing the ribs in foil.

I always cook both types horizontally when I can. There is often a small temperature gradient from the grill up into the dome. and rack cooking (it seems to me) doesn't cook all parts as equally as if laying at the same level.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 8,914
    What gdenby said.  Same holds true for beef - I cooked veal short ribs and beef short ribs at the same time - the veal were done much sooner.  If you don't have space to cook them all horizontal and do cook vertical, you should flip them so they cook evenly.  It's a good idea to rotate/flip/move around meat in general - the back of the egg is hotter.  You want everything to cook evenly.  Watch the edges - the ribs may hang over the plate setter (or whatever shield you use from direct heat)  You can put a little foil under the edges to keep them from burning.