Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC Question

Options
Greeno55
Greeno55 Posts: 635
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am finally cooking my last Christmas dinner this year, and this time it's my first turkey attempt. Because I seem to never guess my cook time for turkey correctly, I'm putting it on a little earlier than normal. If its done early, I'll just FTC it, maybe without a bunch of foil as to not make the skin too soft. Now my question is, since I don't really have a cooler yet I'd like to dedicate for this purpose, and don't think I'll have time to run out and get one today, will using one of my other ones absorb an odor from leaving the bird in there about an hour max?

I hope everyone is enjoying their Egg related Christmas loot. I get to try out my new AR today!!
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    should be fine. Just bleach it out if needed after. I've had a lot nastier stuff than a turkey in my coolers and they all bleach out like new.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    FTC does two things, seals the cook so moisture is not lost, maintains the finish temp (within reason of course). If you don't seal it to try and keep the skin "crispy" and dump it in a cooler I can guarantee you two things will happen: The skin will lose its crisp because the cooler will trap the escaping moisture and the meat will cool. You will have a chewy skinned cold turkey. 
    Can't speak to the absorb odor. 

Can you loosely tent it with foil and hold it in a warm <150 oven...? Will keep the skin crisp and hold the cook temp for an hour or two. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Both fantastic pieces of information. Thanks gents!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you need to keep it warm for an hour or less, put it in your oven on a warming temp. (if you don't have a warming temp, just put it on the lowest setting (probably 170) let it warm up then shut it off and repeat every now and then.