Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Potato skins

Options

In my family, we generally just have some bar food for Christmas dinner since no one really wants to make a meal after eating our traditional brunch.

We kept it simple this year, doing some ABTs, Potato Skins, some Totino's Pizza Rolls (guilty pleasure), and some tamales procured from Luna Tortilla here in Dallas.  I wanted to change up the potato skins a little bit and add some smoke to them.  I do my ABTs indirect with some hickory at 250 for about 2 hours, so I put the skins on (after SWMBO had done the baking and scooping) the Woo extender above the ABTs for about 90 minutes.  I pulled them (they were nice and crispy) filled them with cheese and bacon, and then put them back on for about 10 min or so to melt the cheese. 

They came out great - crispy and with just a hint of smoke.  I'm thinking that they would be a great appetizer to throw on next time you are waiting on a butt and getting hungry.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Nice looking food. I have not done skins but will soon.......

Was in your show for about an hour yesterday till heading south.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Boileregger
    Options
    Thanks. I'd done them before, but never with the hickory. Added a nice flavor. As for the snow, this must be what it is like to live in Canada! ;)