Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini's Maiden Voyage.

I got all three Eggs into the act today cooking my daughter's favorite, chicken legs.  This is the maiden voyage for the Mini.  I decided to use three different rubs just because I had some bottles needing to get finished.  I used the leftover poultry magic from Thanksgiving, another rub I made a couple of months ago and finally the leftover Mickey's Coffee Rub.  Sorry Mickey, Wilma likes the flavor profile, but complained her mouth was on fire.  Her tolerence for spicy is very low.  I have to play with it to see if I can get an acceptable version.

Legs just put on the Large (Poultry Magic) & Mini (Mickey's Coffee Rub)

Just on the Small (BBQ Pit Boys Chicken Rub)

Finishing up

Over cooked them some due to distraction because we're trying to get our hovel presentable for Christmas.  Hosting the family Christmas was just dropped in my lap on Friday.  The beer had nothing to do with it!!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited December 2012
    Nice way to break in the Mini! Chicken was the first cook on my Mini as well.
    Nice family of Eggs you have there!
    Good luck with the X-Mas preparations.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I want to know where you got that Charles Chips can??
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I just love the color contrast inside the dome of the old xl and the new mini.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • @R2Egg2Q - Yeah, the chicken was a good place to start!  We do a lot of them because our 4 year old can be picky, but for some reason she always eats chicken drumsticks real well.  Thanks for the well wishes!

@Plano_JJ - Wilma's family used to get them when she was a kid. This can, however, came from Cracker Barrel.  We have a couple of them.  I use this one for ashes. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2012
    The ONLY thing I can see wrong in any picture is that you need a Mini Woo. Nice cook. Did I send you the coffee rub or did you make it? It is not hot at all.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited December 2012
    Mickey said:
    The ONLY thing I can see wrong in any picture is that you need a Mini Woo. Nice cook

It's in the works!  The mini I bought was never used, but I think it's an older version.  There is no ID number stamped in the dome and it has a small handle.  It does have a 10" SS grid.  Peculiar!

I found the ingredients at my Mom's market.  I made it according to directions.  The only difference I saw was the directions called for "ancho chile powder" and I bought "ancho chile pepper".  I didn't think it was hot.  Maybe a nice little warmth, but not hot.  Wilma however disagrees. 

Flint, Michigan