Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheat Ham - go by time or weight?

Options
I'm smoking a huge honkin (20lbs) pre-cooked ham for Christmas eve.... I'm using the Dr.Chicken's Double smoke ham method.  According to him, I need to plan on 25 to 30 minutes per pound to reach a desired internal of 135.   Does that sound right to warm up (and smoke) such a large piece of pig - 10 hours?   Thanks all, and Merry Christmas,

Steve

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've done the Dr. Chicken ham twice, but only hams in the 7 - 9 pound range. My recollection was that it went a little faster than the estimate.

But the time to temp at the center of the piece is greatly affected by the thickness. I imagine your ham is huge. From what I know (not much, admittedly), the time estimate should be higher than average.

If it doesn't ruin the presentation, you can make deep gashes in the ham to speed the cook. Gives more surface to cover w. the glaze (which is most delicious), and the center of the meat is much closer to the hot cooking air.

Good luck, and merry Christmas!