Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cornish Hens

I came across a couple of game hens in the freezer earlier this week and thought I'd give them a shot on the egg. Also, since I hadn't spatchcoccked yet, I thought I'd give that a try too. (I hope my pictures come through. I've had troble with them in the past. I have them inserted throughout the text, but don't know if they'll end up that way.)

I started by dusting them with Oakridge BBQ's Game Bird & Chicken rub a couple hours in advance while they sat uncovered in the fridge. 

I cooked them indirect with a plate setter and dry drip pan at about 350 for 40 minutes or so - however long it took me to enjoy two Elmer T Lee Kentucky bourbons. I also added a small amount of cherry chips.

Here they are about 15 minutes before pulling. I'm not sure why the photo is blurry; I think it's because it was pitch black outside by that time.

Once they hit temp, I removed them and let them rest for 10 or 15 minutes while I egged some asparagus.

imageimage

Here they are on a plate with the asparagus and maple sweet potatoes. I wasn't sure how they'd be since they were frozen for I don't know how long. But they turned out great; really tender and juicy.  The skin was nice and crispy too. My wife, who's not nuts about hens, loved them and said they were the best she ever had. I felt compelled to celebrate with another Elmer T.

hen1.JPG
480 x 640 - 121K
hen2.JPG
480 x 640 - 126K
hen3.JPG
480 x 640 - 80K
hen4.JPG
480 x 640 - 116K
hen5.JPG
480 x 640 - 134K
hen6.JPG
640 x 480 - 163K