Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

thanksgiving 101/ turkey brine

in reading "thanksgiving 101" by rick rodgers - he says that 10 to 16 hours is the time for brining a turkey - over 16 hours if a definable "NO"

what is your thinking ?

thanks, mr toad
In dog Beers - I have had only one !

• jlsmjlsm Posts: 862
    It will be too salty if you brine longer. I don't do it longer than 12.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • LitLit Posts: 4,321
    I guess it depends on the salt content of the brine. The charcuterie smoked turkey brine says to brine it for 48 hours if I remember correctly and I brined mine for 36 hours this thanksgiving and it was amazing.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,710
    Lit has brightened my day!

All puns aside, it does depend on the salt content. Quick brines have high salt content to produce faster results. I did the Ruhlman brine and did it for 36 hours as well. It was incredible. It will also depend on the weight of the turkey.

Here is the brine.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,518

I am in the club that says you don't need to brine at all. Small club, but a few of us.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now).