Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime Rib stats.......What?

I did another whole rib roast today so for fun I thought I would give you guys the stats.  I'm always in a quandary about how much meat to start with.  I have two neighbors that each wanted prime rib for Christmas.  one has 8 guests coming and the other has 10 coming plus wants some left overs.  I bought a whole cryoed rib roast.  Here are the stats.
15.57 lbs     Whole roast
12.37 lbs     after trimming........this was a loss of 20%
10.4  lbs      Meat left after cooking........16% loos after cooking.......or 33% less than the whole roast.

I cooked it at 225 to 235.
I pulled it at 122.
It cooked a little over 2 1/2 hours
It was a perfect med rare minus.

I cryoed the meat to hold till Saturday when it will be served.
I made the Au Jus which will be used to heat up the meat thus cooking it a little more.

Both neighbors want to serve the meat on buns so I figure that they will have plenty.  The one with 8 diners has 4 lbs of meat.  I figure that there will be at least 1.5 lbs left over.

The one with 10 diners has 6 lbs so she should have a lot for the kids to take home.
·

Comments

• You Sir (or Ma'am) have taken the art of prime rib to a new level, I think your calculations are about on, 1/2# is the max per person if there are buns, salads, taters, veggies to dip, cheeses etc.... and don't forget the candy canes. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,435
    I just want to eat it
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,278
    If you accelerate that meat to the speed of light, you'll have enough energy to run north America for like, 100 years. 

Seriously though, that's good empirical information - I really appreciate that.  People are always asking how much PR they need to buy for X amount of peeps.

·
  • I was thinking that the train would arrive at 6:15 pm.  Math was my strong suit. 

*-:)

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • Ha!  Skiddy.....I've peed on a few lectric fences in my day........

One of the reasons for the post was to help people decide whether the whole rib roast was a good deal vs the trimmed pretty piece in the grocers counter.  a deal on a good trimmed piece is not really a bad deal.  Usually you get the best end.  Plus it has to be more than 25% more expensive to really make a difference.  But of course with the whole roast you might get several pounds of fat  for some hot tamales!
    ·
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 399
    At 235 it only took 2.5 hrs for a 12 lb roast I was gonna do mine at 325 15 min a lb with a maverick plugged in. did you tie the bone back on?
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,083
    edited December 2012
    Ha!  Skiddy.....I've peed on a few lectric fences in my day........

One of the reasons for the post was to help people decide whether the whole rib roast was a good deal vs the trimmed pretty piece in the grocers counter.  a deal on a good trimmed piece is not really a bad deal.  Usually you get the best end.  Plus it has to be more than 25% more expensive to really make a difference.  But of course with the whole roast you might get several pounds of fat  for some hot tamales!
    Actually, my Saint insists I buy all pork and beef cuts with the bone, Chicken and turkey she doesn't care about because she can't have any poultry bones. If I brought home a PR without bones, even though it is often a better buy, $6/# bone in=$7.50/# trimmed, my dee-oh-gee would take my leg off.

Better than peeing on an electric fence it to grab someone's hand just as it clicks, they often just pee.... 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·