Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib stats.......What?

I did another whole rib roast today so for fun I thought I would give you guys the stats.  I'm always in a quandary about how much meat to start with.  I have two neighbors that each wanted prime rib for Christmas.  one has 8 guests coming and the other has 10 coming plus wants some left overs.  I bought a whole cryoed rib roast.  Here are the stats.
15.57 lbs     Whole roast
12.37 lbs     after trimming........this was a loss of 20%
10.4  lbs      Meat left after cooking........16% loos after cooking.......or 33% less than the whole roast.

I cooked it at 225 to 235.
I pulled it at 122.
It cooked a little over 2 1/2 hours
It was a perfect med rare minus.

I cryoed the meat to hold till Saturday when it will be served.
I made the Au Jus which will be used to heat up the meat thus cooking it a little more.

Both neighbors want to serve the meat on buns so I figure that they will have plenty.  The one with 8 diners has 4 lbs of meat.  I figure that there will be at least 1.5 lbs left over.

The one with 10 diners has 6 lbs so she should have a lot for the kids to take home.

Comments

• You Sir (or Ma'am) have taken the art of prime rib to a new level, I think your calculations are about on, 1/2# is the max per person if there are buns, salads, taters, veggies to dip, cheeses etc.... and don't forget the candy canes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I just want to eat it
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you accelerate that meat to the speed of light, you'll have enough energy to run north America for like, 100 years. 

Seriously though, that's good empirical information - I really appreciate that.  People are always asking how much PR they need to buy for X amount of peeps.
  • I was thinking that the train would arrive at 6:15 pm.  Math was my strong suit. 

*-:)

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Ha!  Skiddy.....I've peed on a few lectric fences in my day........

One of the reasons for the post was to help people decide whether the whole rib roast was a good deal vs the trimmed pretty piece in the grocers counter.  a deal on a good trimmed piece is not really a bad deal.  Usually you get the best end.  Plus it has to be more than 25% more expensive to really make a difference.  But of course with the whole roast you might get several pounds of fat  for some hot tamales!
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    At 235 it only took 2.5 hrs for a 12 lb roast I was gonna do mine at 325 15 min a lb with a maverick plugged in. did you tie the bone back on?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Ha!  Skiddy.....I've peed on a few lectric fences in my day........

One of the reasons for the post was to help people decide whether the whole rib roast was a good deal vs the trimmed pretty piece in the grocers counter.  a deal on a good trimmed piece is not really a bad deal.  Usually you get the best end.  Plus it has to be more than 25% more expensive to really make a difference.  But of course with the whole roast you might get several pounds of fat  for some hot tamales!
    Actually, my Saint insists I buy all pork and beef cuts with the bone, Chicken and turkey she doesn't care about because she can't have any poultry bones. If I brought home a PR without bones, even though it is often a better buy, $6/# bone in=$7.50/# trimmed, my dee-oh-gee would take my leg off.

Better than peeing on an electric fence it to grab someone's hand just as it clicks, they often just pee.... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!