Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime Rib.."cook now, eat later"

I have a neighbor who wants a prime rib for Saturday but I'll be out of town.  Has anyone ever cooked a prime rib ahead of time?  The only thing I can think of is to try to cook it extra rare and then slice and reheat in broth.  This scares me because I have a hard time pulling the meat for rare.  I always seem to over cook it a bit.  I would like to help her out but I certainly don't want to ruin her dinner!
·

Comments

• I did this for a co-worker at Thanksgving. I cooked a prime to 120 internal and foiled immediately and into the fridge. He reheated in the oven at 350 for a half hour and then 225 for two hours. They were very happy with the result. I cooked it on Wed afternoon and they ate the next afternoon.
    LBGE South Dakota
    ·
  • Thanks rebellab.  That gives me a little confidence.  Do you think 4 days in the fridge would make any difference?  I don't see why it would.  Cute pup, by the way.
    ·
  • tyenic1tyenic1 Posts: 149
    I've smoked prime rib, foiled it in the fridge for 24 hours, then took it out and sliced it and threw it on the grill for a couple minutes a side. Turned out excellent.
    ·
  • Tyenic......do you remember at what temp you pulled it?  I'm thinking low and slow and pulling it at 115.  I know that a lot of cooks here don't like to add smoke to the PR but I'm thinking that a little smoke might be good in this case.
    ·
  • tyenic1tyenic1 Posts: 149
    I pulled at 120 degrees. When I sliced it the next day I added a little more rub to it. The Au Jus bath works well too. You should be safe either way you go.
    ·