Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Burgers, Salmon, and Avocado

Hope I get the pics right.  This was a confusing photo story.

The spouse ordered burgers for lunch, and smoked salmon for dinner and a school pot luck.

Burgers is burgers.  Raised grid at 400 for about 7 minutes a side.

Salmon was coated with EVOO and Traeger Sweet the night before and loosely tented in the fridge.  In the morning the foil was removed for a couple hours.  Done indirect, with a pan of water for moisture and apple chunks for smoke.  Lots and lots of smoke.  Done at slightly under 200 for 1.5 hours.  Served with cracker, cream cheese and cucumber after resting in the fridge for several hours.  I had mine with two ripe avocados.

Pics to follow

XLBGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to my daughter), MBGE and lots of toys

Comments

• Pics

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    That salmon is giving me an idea for an upcoming party. Did you measure to an internal temp?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • 130 is the target

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,415
    whats in the pit of the avocados?
  • Italian dressing

Lime juice is better.

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,415
    nice, i eat avocados a lot for lunch so something to change it up is always appreciated

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,574
    How do you hold the egg at 200 degrees?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Give it a good amount of time to settle in, so it is stable.  Do not get it too hot, or you will never recover.

I let it get to 200 with vents open, then chased it back and forth with the DW until it was stable, then cranked the bottom vent to just a sliver and chased it some more.  It eventually settled on just under 200 with the bottom vent just barely cracked and the DW almost completely closed.  Stayed that way the whole time.

Tricky part is not putting the fire out while you are chasing the stable temp.

Same process to hold at 250 or so for pulled pork.  Once you get it stable it holds for a long time.

• Doc I eat vicariously through your post. I always look forward to reading your threads bc I know there will be pictures.
    Boom
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,574
    I would like to try the salmon..n not sure I'm advanced enough to hold 200
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Looks fantastic, Doc!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • BBQGuru can do it every time and lower as well

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• henapple said:

How do you hold the egg at 200 degrees?

I can hold my xl at 160. I make a small pile of lump and light most of it. 160 is almost easier to hold than 200 for me.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,584
    I tried holding my egg at room temperature.  It was really heavy.