Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mixer

Options
What do you use? Anyone have the kitchenaid with the grinder attachment. Pro or artisan series. Thanks.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i have a pro, no meat grinder yet but have the pasta attachments, and a bowl scraping mixing paddle, no complaints here.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    The grinder is useless if you want to make sausage.  The blade, auger and the die are a joke, but you get what you pay for.  If you do less than 10 lbs of meat a hand grinder is fine and not that hard to use.  My buddy and I use a Hobart grinder for our sausage.  It has a 1 Horse Power motor and it will grind anything you put down the chute.  Hobart is professional kitchen quality and has been around for probably 100 years.  They last a lifetime.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I tried the KA grinder attachment, and it got clogged up every time it hit some connective tissue.  I'm the type that gets pi$$ed off and goes out and buys the best I can find.  Then ask forgiveness. I bought a Weston 08-3201 Meat Grinder & Sausage Stuffer.  That thing will grind anything.

(I'm still asking for forgiveness)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I found a new ka on cl for 200...I'd love a Hobart but also love my $@&s
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Pro KA, the grinder works if the meat is at the correct "slightly frozen" temperature and if I hold my mouth just the right way. It also helps if the moon is close to full and the tide low.
    It works for grinding round or sirloin into ground round or ground sirloin, but as Sam noted, any connective tissue and it is toast. 

We got ours for <$50 so I don't feel to bad, but would never buy it again, in fact if it was free I might even politely say, in true Canadian fashion, no thank you. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The one I'm looking at is a step above the pro. We'll use for baking and pizza dough more than anything.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    henapple said:
    The one I'm looking at is a step above the pro. We'll use for baking and pizza dough more than anything.
    Ours is an old Pro 600 and for whipping, baking and dough, this thing is in its element. I'm sure you could mix cement all day with it, great mixer. Sorry, I misread your OP as the grinding attachment only comments wanted....Sorry
    My daughter has an Artisan and loves it, she makes cakes as a hobby/business. Seems to be standing up very well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

henapple said:
    I found a new ka on cl for 200...I'd love a Hobart but also love my $@&amp;s
    i got mine on craigslist.  seems like in most households they are more novelty than practical.  i know several people personally that have them and curse the money they spent on them because they don't get used.  I know thats not the case here because you got the bug.  also save some cash for awesome ad ons!
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    If you spend $800 on an Egg, spend $200 and buy a good grinder.  You will thank yourself later.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!