Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham it is.

Options
So yesterday I posted on what to do for Christmas dinner. Long story short my butcher is getting a 10lb shank ham that is already cured and smoked. The question is, how do you folks "reheat" the ham? Any tricks of the trade would be great as this is our first year doing this.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    A popular method:

Ham, Maple-Bourbon, Egret

INGREDIENTS:  
    10-12 Lbs    Cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)  
    1/2-1 cup    Maple Syrup  

Cherry and Apple Chunks  
    Maple-Bourbon Paste:  
    2 Tbs    pure Maple Syrup  
    2 Tbs    Freshly ground Black Pepper  

2 Tbs    Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard  
    1 Tbs    Bourbon  
    1 Tbs    Vegetable Oil  
    1 Tbs    Paprika  
    1 Tbs    Onion Powder  
    2 tsp    coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt  

PROCEDURE:
    1 The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    2 Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side).
    3 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    4 Stabilize egg at 250. with plate setter (legs up) and regular grid on plate setter.
    5 Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140‹. (this should take about 5 hours).

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source

Author: John Hall

Source: Sunshine State Florida Fest '11, Egret, 2011/04/09

• fletcherfam
    Options
    Is skin normally removed from a ham shank or do you remove it prior to cooking it or???
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I leave it on, just score it. Either way works well. Some like to stick cloves in it.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Thank you Wayne (Thirdeye)for the hand holding. Also thanks to Richard and Gary (Village Idiot)and Kent and Chubby for all the emails and calls on other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, no anything. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145/155. I did score the ham deep.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Mickey's ham in the Plano Eggfest. Man was it good!
    Ham.JPG 54.1K

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• fletcherfam
    Options
    Mickey, do you have a recipe for that ham?
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I did three hams with the Maple Bourbon recipe and they turned out fantastic. I did one the week before Easter to get a feel for the cook and then two on Easter. They were tender, juicy and very taste.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Mickey\ Richard fl,

That was the best ham I have ever had. Only thing I did differently was I baked it in the oven. Even my parents comment red on it being the best ham they ever had. Never new a ham could be that tender!