Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Shank Recipe - From Serious Eats Blog

I was thinking of cooking this recipe for Christmas dinner.  Only change would be to sear it on the egg, and then finish it on the egg (assuming it holds together after the braise).  Anyone have experience with shanks on the egg?  Any suggestions or modifications to the recipe that you would suggest?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/bruce-aidells-stinco-braised-and-roasted-pork.html?ref=title

·

Comments

• makismakis Posts: 81
    I have cooked them in the past braised and then grilled, brined then grilled and finally seasoned with S & P and then cooked low and slow.

All werebig hits bur brined for three days and then grilled were the best. Very tender and juicy!
    ·
  • Richard doesn't know how to copy/paste links, so I thought I'd help him out.
    You're welcome, Richard.

Had this pork shank begging to be cooked so seared at 350F on small BGE for 15 minutes per side. 30 minutes total: 

Placed some sauerkraut, little turbindo sugar and some onions in the pot: 

Next went the carrots and potatoes: 

Tossed in a 16 oz can of Bud and covered with water, little seasoning and cooked at 300F top of DO off for 3 hours: 

Guess what I found? 

Decided to cook a few in my 4 qt DO on the small, so first did a direct 350F for 20 minutes per side to crust up after being rubbed overnight with a pork rub. 

Then removed and placed in DO with potatoes, cabbage, onions and carrots: 

4 hours latter they were ready. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·