Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajita Seasoning

I am looking for a good fajita seasoning. I want to get that Mexican restaurant flavor Is there a good one out there already premixed or must you do it yourself?

Comments

• Dizzy Pig just came out with Fajitaish.  I bought a bottle and will probably use it tomorrow night.  Penzey's also has a fajita seasoning.  It's OK.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Do it yourself.  It will be better and you will know (and likely be able to pronounce) exactly what is in it.

Fajita meat is usually best when marinated for 24+ hours, then cooked really hot and really fast over a blazing fire.  Don't use dry seasonings in this scenario - all those spices will just burn and taste bad.

In short - marinate, emblazon, then season with a little dry seasonings, let it rest, slice, enjoy.

This recipe has gotten some pretty good reviews over the years.  Works with beef (skirt/ flank/ or flat iron) and chicken.  Oh, and make your own pico.  Your taste buds will thank you.

For the Marinade :
    5-6 cloves Garlic, minced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh Cilantro
    1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
    3 juiced Limes
    1/2 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    1 Tbls. crushed Red Pepper
    1 Tbls. ground Cumin
    1 Tbls. Black Pepper
    1 Tbls. Ancho Chili Powder
    1 Tbls. Salt
    1 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
    Combine all ingredients to make the marinade.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2012

I have used this for 20 years and still like it. I live in the middle of Texas and find it everywhere. I use lemons now, used to use limes.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    When life give you lemons, make fajitas.
  • esdd
    esdd Posts: 44
    GFS has about three or four sold under the Trade East brand. I like the Mesquite Herb the best.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Mickey said:

I have used this for 20 years and still like it. I live in the middle of Texas and find it everywhere. I use lemons now, used to use limes.

Dat's what I used on my chuck roasts the other weekend to make pulled beef tacos. Good stuff.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Bolner family has been making high quality fine spices for a long time.  They have always been my go to spices.  When we lived outside of Texas care packages filled with their products we greatly appreciated.  When we came home to visit we would always take a suitcase filled with their products, especially the dried peppers.  The New Mexican Red Chili powder has always been my go to for lots of dishes.   It is pure without any other added spices...Good stuff
    Scope out their web site at fiesta spices.com

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Good link.  They offer a lot of their products salt free too. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • When it comes to fajitas, I prefer a good marinade rather than a rub.  Here's the one I have used for quite a while and we love it.  Goes good with skirt steak, flat iron or flank steaks. 

1/4 cup Oil
    1/4 cup Lime Juice
    1/4 cup Tequila
    1-2 clove Garlic minced
    1 1/2 teaspoon Season salt
    1 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
    1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon Paprika
    1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    NibbleMeThis that looks good. A little triple sec might top it off.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    We always use Fidel's recipe...it is da bomb....try it, you will like it.. ;)
  • I use a marinade very similar to NibbleMeThis just add some fresh squeezed OJ. I've started using a butterflied Tri Tip for my fajitas.
    Smoking in Prosper
  • I have some Ribeye's setting in Fidel's Marinade now and plan to make Fajita's Saturday for dinner. Should be some good eating for sure.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited December 2012
    We make our own as well, in fact we have some chicken marinading as I type. Ours is simple and was developed when we used a gasser, I have dropped the liquid smoke in favor of ACTUAL smoke now days.

4 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
    1/4 Cup Lime Juice
    1/3 Cup Water
    2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1/2 Teaspoon liquid Smoke
    1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (I prefer 1 Teaspoon but I have a six year old)
    1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper

Mix it together in a ziplock bag and put in up to 2 LBS of Skirt/Flank Steak or Chicken. Allow at least two hours to marinade. Steak is better marinaded overnight and best marinaded for over 24 hours. Chicken absorbs too much of the lime juice if marinaded too long (I do it for about three hours). Cook on BGE.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.