Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermapen question

Hi all - need some advice on using a thermapen. I used it on my first spatchcock chicken the other day and had some challenges. Some parts of the breast meat measured 190-ish, while other parts were in the 150's. I found the same variation in the thigh meat. Should I just watch the lowest temp? Am I doing something wrong? I noticed varied readings on a steak I did earlier, but not to the differences I saw in the chicken. Thanks all! Josh
·

Comments

• jlsmjlsm Posts: 834
    Is it possible that you measured next to bone? That will give you falsely high temps.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,217
    I think it's 160 in the breast, 180 in the thigh....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,472
    Try to find the lowest temp.   That's the internal temp.

·
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    Yep.  You want all the meat to reach the target temp, not just some of it. 
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • henapple said:
    I think it's 160 in the breast, 180 in the thigh....
    +1

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • OK thanks. I will consider the lowest temp as the accurate. I was just surprised though the range of temps within a single chicken breast...

- Josh
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 754

The thermapen only needs 1/8 inch insertion to measure. So you can bet that the temp deeper into the breast and thigh is going to be lower than at the surface. Like the others said always go with the lowest temp. 

Tim

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • Depends where you measure as well. The breast on a spatch can vary in thickness, so look for the thickest part. Quite possible that the center of the breast, just behind the wing joint is at 160, the tip near the thigh might be at 190, thigh at 180. Always use the lowest as the guide. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·