Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

kaffer/kieffer lime

got one off my keiffer tree this year, have used the leaves before but not the fruit, anyone use one in cooking, if not might use the zest for a simple syrup with some bourbon and just use the leaves for some shrimp curry or something. anyone ever use the fruit for cooking. only have one so theres only one attempt
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited December 2012
    I use the leaves for  my single malt glass around the rim   to give the citrus flavor.  Also like to cut up the leaves and add to some oriental dishes along with lemongrass for a citrusy flavor.   The limes are so ugly other than zest have never really used them.  Should work in lieu of lime wedges for various drinks and dishes calling for a wedge or some juice. 
    Just found this on Melissa's site:

Uses:

Melissa’s Kaffir Limes are a deliciously tangy and interesting citrus variety. Kaffir limes are easily distinguished by their extremely bumpy, deep green skin and their slightly elongated neck. Melissa’s Kaffir Limes are filled with a delicious tangy flavor and very aromatic oils. The aroma and flavor of this intense lime is very hard to match, making Melissa’s fresh Kaffir Limes even more unique. Kaffir Lime juice is very sour. Melissa’s Kaffir limes are delicious with savory dishes and a must with any traditional Thai meal. Add to spicy homemade chili, soup or stews for a little extra tang.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    I use the Kieffer leaves in Thai Lemon Shrimp.  I bought a small tree from a Vietnamese Nursery here in town.

Ingredients:

1 pound Shrimp, Shelled, keep tail on

1/3 cup Sweet Chili Sauce

1 Lemon juice & zest

3 Kaffir Lime Leaves, sliced

1 teaspoon Chili sauce, to taste

1 tablespoon Fish Sauce

3 cloves Garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon Brown sugar

1/4 cup Coconut Milk

1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped

Directions:

1. Marinate the shrimp in the sweet chili sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest, kaffir lime leaves, chili sauce, fish sauce, garlic and sugar for 10 or more minutes.

2. Heat a pan over medium heat.

3. Add the shrimp along with the marinade and the coconut milk and simmer until the shrimp are cooked, about 2-3 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and mix in the cilantro.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    VI   have a recipe for that, that looks like it would be simple and good and i can make a kaffer julep to go with it. im keeping dinners on the small side for a while tiil i drop the weight
    :))
    @richard fl  i think im just going to use the zest then and a couple leaves, dont want to use too many til spring as its going to be difficult keeping this tree alive up here. the lemon grass you sent me is really fulling out, its time to start using it, ive got 3 full containers about 3.5 feet tall busting at the seams
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    well that looks like tomorrow nights dinner, maybe some white rice to sop up some of that sauce, thanks
    fukahwee maine