Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Looking for some new cookbooks to put on my x-mas list, what's your favorite?

2»

Comments

• Who Dat???

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,871
    What dat say they gonna beat dem Saints?!

Game is tonight.  Saints bus got egged by Atlanta fans, I heard.

·
  • I may watch that. Ain't no stinking hockey

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • mteelemteele Posts: 48
    I enjoy my Bobby Flay books as well. If you like Mexican, get a Rick bayless book as someone else suggested. The recipes in his 'Mexican Everyday' book are very easy to make on week nights....it changed the way I cook at home, literally. I also enjoy his Authentic Mexican. Do you have any Thomas Keller books? Ad Hoc At Home is a good one to start with before picking up The French Laundry. Modernist Cuisine books would also be a good choice. Focus more on books like this to become a more rounded chef, instead up buying a half dozen BBQ books that are all nearly identicle.
    ·
  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 174

I'm working my way through this one presently: http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Hot-Pots-Comforting-One-Pot/dp/158008981X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354238804&sr=1-1&keywords=japanese+hot+pots

I put an asian spice rub on 9 lbs of boneless country ribs (sliced pork shoulder) and grilled it up in the egg, then sliced it up and vac-sealed/froze in 5 oz portions.  I thawed one out today and will build up a nice japanese soup around it including many other goodies such as shrimp, butternut squash, potato, sweet onion, yo choy sum, miso etc.    Great eating in these colder months and doesn't put weight on.  Nor does this cooking spatter an unholy mess around my stove area as happens with the wok. 

I also do this one which is sour with lime juice and kafir lime leaf.   Extremely good and easy to make, though no egging is involved:  http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/tom-yum-goong

·
  • Love Tom Yum! All Thai for that matter. Vietnamese too. Indonesian, Malaysian, Mongolian, Chinese, Burmese, Indian, Pakastani, Afghan, Slavic, Russian, English, Irish, Spanish, Italian, and I could go on.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    I've gotta quit reading this thread my amazon wishlist is getting larger than my mortgage
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    edited November 2012
    What dat say they gonna beat dem Saints?!

Falcons tonight buddy, a little revenge for a couple of weeks ago

Sorry about that egging thing, thats not Atlanta, just some dumb asses at the airport. It was wrong!

Sorry about that egging thing, that was wrong
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 4,022
    Who dat throwing eggs at our bus?
    ·
    We're sucking ass right now.  This is hard to watch.  I'm going to move into the cave and start making a super peel - I pulled out some lumber for it yesterday.  Have a TV in there but I'll be less depressed.

·
  • I'm a big fan of Ruhlman and Polcyn's two books...Charcuterie and Salumi. Also Like Charred and Scruffed by  Perry Lang.

I also get CI, and must admit that much of our cooking comes from their recipes.

Hap....we used to live pretty close to a Wegmans and used to get the same magazine from them. I really wish we had Wegmans up here in NH.
    ·
  • What dat say they gonna beat dem Saints?!

Falcons tonight buddy, a little revenge for a couple of weeks ago

Sorry about that egging thing, thats not Atlanta, just some dumb asses at the airport. It was wrong!

Sorry about that egging thing, that was wrong

I just so don't understand American football. What happened at the end of the half just there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    edited November 2012
    shaddup :((

·
  • Larouse Gastronomique.  It's the french encyclopedia of food. 
    ·
  • shaddup :((

WHO DAT, WHO DAT, WHO DAT DONE WHUPPED DEM SAINTS?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    Winning by 10 points after 5 turnovers....what a shame.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,979
    Mais, Jacques. There are enchiladas, and then there are ENCHILADAS. 
    I personally like EN-CHEEEE-LADAS!! And a nice margarita on the rocks.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • beteezbeteez Posts: 390
    I'll 2nd BBQ 25 very egg centric & not a bum recipe from the 25.
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    this thread has drove me crazy was at barns and noble yesterday and picked up charred and scruffed by adam perry lang, i read the intro and about 10 recipes they all look so good
    ·
  • The newest addition to my cookbook collection is Cooks Illustrated "The Science of Good Cooking". I enjoy learning the why things work. Try to get your hands on Jane Grigson "Charcuterie and the French Pork Cookery" and don't forget to search out pre 1950 regional cook books.
    As VI said there is a great value in learning from tradition. Those cooks may not have understood food chemistry but the did know what worked.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    No man, this is more a guide to methods, herb and spice matching, sauces, understanding protiens and other products. There are sections that relate only to the restaurant/foodservice industry. It's basically a textbook for culinary school. I just like knowing how to do all that stuff.
    Bought the app.
    ·