Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Branded Maverick ET732 Issues

Options

I bought one of the BGE branded ET732 wireless thermometers on Wednesday for my low and slow turkey cook.  I'm not pleased.

This is a BGE branded device, but the dome probe doesn't fit in the thermometer hole through the BGE dome.  It's too thick!  I had to drop it through the daisywheel.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, even though this is a BGE branded device, the wire hangar doesn't fit around the BGE handle.

I'm seriously considering returning this thing.

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited November 2012
    Options
    It may be BGE-branded, but not adapted to "fit" with the BGE. The temperature probe can either be brought in from the opening and clipped to the stem of the standard BGE dial thermometer, or as you did, dropped through the top of the DFMT.  Some opt to read temperatures at the cooking grid level, and will clip it on, there.

Likewise, the hanger/stand is just the normal Maverick ET732 stand, and has not been modified to fit the BGE.

Think of the BGE branding like buying a slipcover for a cell phone. You didn't get any new features by adding it, but it at least the color scheme now matches your Egg.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The stock analog thermometer is intended to always stay in the dome.  Break out the Maverick only when you're cooking indirect - your probes will last longer.  I measure grate temp but you can clip it to the analog thermometer and measure dome.
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The Mav or BGE thermo is not intended to be used in place of the dome thermo, it is meant to be used with it. The set-up for the Mav is to clip the BBQ/pit probe to the raised, indirect grid. The clip included works with the SS grid. Make sure the probe to cable junction has some foil wrapped around it, will lengthen the life significantly. Also, make sure the probe and foil are protected from direct exposure to the burning lump, keep it over one leg of the setter or equivalent. 

In the attached photo, note the pit probe over a setter leg, the food probe is in the "soon to be Italian" beef. No foil on them in this photo. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NautiRogue
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys.  I guess I just thought that if BGE puts its name on it, that it should be customized to their products.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys.  I guess I just thought that if BGE puts its name on it, that it should be customized to their products.
    Nope. Just a way to get $10 extra for a thermo :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • amhobbs
    Options
    would putting the probe between the lid and base not mess with the gasket and seal?
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited December 2012
    Options
    amhobbs said:
    would putting the probe between the lid and base not mess with the gasket and seal?
    Nope. The cable is thin enough for the felt/nomex/etc. gasket to seal around it. You just want to make sure that it's shielded from direct heat, by feeding it across one of the platesetter legs, or some other form of thermal barrier.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

There are quite a few products with the BGE logo that won't fit into that little hole. LOL

This is a nice cooking tool, protect the wires from heat exposure and it should last quite a while.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• NautiRogue
    Options

There are quite a few products with the BGE logo that won't fit into that little hole. LOL

This is a nice cooking tool, protect the wires from heat exposure and it should last quite a while.

Uhhhhh...  Thanks for the hint regarding protecting the wires from heat exposure, but I saw it too late.  I brought the BGE up to 800+ degrees to sear a bison steak the other night...  With the grid probe still on the grid.  I'll be buying a new set of probes from Maverick for $33.

The bison steak was FANTASTIC, but I'm kicking myself for frying the probe.
  • NautiRogue
    Options
    Lesson learned.