Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My first attempt at Montreal Smoked Meat

O.K. I know all you folks to the south just went through your turkey day and everyone is talking turkey, but I thought you might like to hear about my first attempt at Montreal Smoked Meat. I have often heard of Montreal Smoked Meat before but have never actually tasted it. I had my idea of what it should taste like. I followed a discussion on another forum that contained a recipe for it and it was described as a clone to Shwartz's. Shwartz Montreal Smoked Meat is supposed to be world famous and is frequented by many celebrities. Before I go into my experience of creating this meat, here is a link to that discussion. . The recipe is about 8 posts down. The recipe called for a 6 kilogram brisket (about 13 pounds) I had a 4 pound flat. I cut the recipe in half and still have enough left over to make another 2 of these things. Following the recipe, I dry rubbed the meat, wrapped it in cling wrap, sealed it in a zip lock bag and put it in the fridge for a week turning over twice a day. Saturday came and it was time to cook the brisket on the BGE at 250 F. for 4 hours in the maple smoke. (It snowed all day. We ended up with about 10 inches of that filthy white stuff.) I then wrapped it in tin foil and continued to cook for another 4 hours. Final internal temp. was 196 F. Wrapped the whole thing up again and put it in the fridge (after cooling). Next day I placed the brisket in a roasting pan on a rack with a small amount of water and basically let it steam for about 5 hours. My house filled with the wonderful aromas of the smoked meat. Now, as far as how it tasted? I personally thought that it was a little too peppery however aside from that it tasted exactly as I imagined the meat to be. It was as the original poster stated, "Deeeelicious" I noticed how brutal some of you were to a guy that did not post any pictures, so here they are.imageimageimage
I know the voices aren't real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

• BjorgBjorg Posts: 237
    As a guy from Montreal, I can attest that this looks great! Im off to lunch to eat a smoked meat sandwich myself . 
    Quebec - Canada
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,711
    looks great to me. never having had it, the recipe looks like pastrami but omitting maybe the garlic?
  • MSM is one of the true treats on the continent. To be authentic it should be steamed to reheat after smoking, thin sliced and piled three inches high(min).

Caledon, ON

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 16,114
    Sounds like pastrami except a dry cure rather than a corning.
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr., smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,711

Sounds like pastrami except a dry cure rather than a corning.
    corning can be done dry or as a brine, i think its just missing garlic for a pastrami base flavor. some places here cure corned beef dry and dont even use the pink curing salts, just kosher salt, they call them grey but they cook up a darker brown. anyways, might try that montreal smoked meat recipe soon
  • misumisu Posts: 213
    I'm going to have to try that, maybe I'll finish it in the pressure cooker as per Thirdeye's recipe
  • All I know folks is that it was DAMNED GOOD!
    I know the voices aren't real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,499
    edited November 2012
    It uses something akin to Montreal steak spice as the main flavour profile. I've never had New York pastrami but have had it in a lot of delis on the east coast and the MSM is the bomb.

Caledon, ON