Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

My first attempt at Montreal Smoked Meat

O.K. I know all you folks to the south just went through your turkey day and everyone is talking turkey, but I thought you might like to hear about my first attempt at Montreal Smoked Meat. I have often heard of Montreal Smoked Meat before but have never actually tasted it. I had my idea of what it should taste like. I followed a discussion on another forum that contained a recipe for it and it was described as a clone to Shwartz's. Shwartz Montreal Smoked Meat is supposed to be world famous and is frequented by many celebrities. Before I go into my experience of creating this meat, here is a link to that discussion. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/794033 . The recipe is about 8 posts down. The recipe called for a 6 kilogram brisket (about 13 pounds) I had a 4 pound flat. I cut the recipe in half and still have enough left over to make another 2 of these things. Following the recipe, I dry rubbed the meat, wrapped it in cling wrap, sealed it in a zip lock bag and put it in the fridge for a week turning over twice a day. Saturday came and it was time to cook the brisket on the BGE at 250 F. for 4 hours in the maple smoke. (It snowed all day. We ended up with about 10 inches of that filthy white stuff.) I then wrapped it in tin foil and continued to cook for another 4 hours. Final internal temp. was 196 F. Wrapped the whole thing up again and put it in the fridge (after cooling). Next day I placed the brisket in a roasting pan on a rack with a small amount of water and basically let it steam for about 5 hours. My house filled with the wonderful aromas of the smoked meat. Now, as far as how it tasted? I personally thought that it was a little too peppery however aside from that it tasted exactly as I imagined the meat to be. It was as the original poster stated, "Deeeelicious" I noticed how brutal some of you were to a guy that did not post any pictures, so here they are.imageimageimage
Finally done.jpg
3008 x 2000 - 332K
The cook.jpg
3008 x 2000 - 417K
The Sandwich.jpg
1497 x 969 - 1014K
Be who you are and say what you feel... Because those that matter... don't mind ... and those that mind... don't matter !

Comments