Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some Gameday Wangs

Whipped up some simple wings last night.  Used the AR and placed them on indirect at around a 385 deg dome temp.  The wings got sprinkled with baking powder and a homemade rub before throwing them on.  I didn't sauce them until they came off the egg.

Once they got nice and crispy, we sauced them 2 ways...  one was with some Crystal's Wing Sauce, which was a new find for us.  It was really good, and it was only $1.25 for a big bottle of it.  That's cheaper than we can make it at home, so it will make the rotation.  The other sauce was given to us by our Eggtoberfest 2012 neighbors.  They made these Sweet and Spicy Korean-Style Wings that were killer.  They ended up giving us an unused bottle of the sauce they used.  I forgot it was in my fridge until last night.  Figured I'd go ahead and use some of it.  Pretty good stuff!

And oh yeah, I'll go ahead and throw this in...  Gooooooooooooo Gamecocks!!!!!!!!!!  Way to put the smack down on those Clemson Kitties!!!  ....and we only had to use our 2nd String Quarterback and our 2nd and 3rd String Runningbacks.   ;) 

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Good looking wings. Go cocks!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Wings look great! SEC put the whippin on those ACC underlings!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Great looking wings there Dyal! You can be my wing man anytime.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hey Dyal, those look great!  I also did wings yesterday -- 30 minutes indirect (350 dome) and then 4-5 minutes direct to crisp up the skin (350 dome).  Turned out great.  Sounds like your's got crispy enough indirect w/ baking powder?  
  • How 'bout those 'cocks!!!!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Don't know about the Game Cocks or the Kitties, but the flappers and drummers look awesome. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Can you tell me more about the use of baking powder? Sounds interesting and is new to me.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050

Thanks a lot, ladies and gents! 

Using a little baking powder has become my go-to way to grill up wings.  I don't measure it...just keep sprinkling it in with the uncooked wings while tossing them around.  You kinda just want to put enough in there to soak up the excess moisture from the wings.  Then just season them like you normally would.  I only do this though if I hadn't previously marinated the wings.  For example, I don't use baking powder when I grill up Piri Piri Wings.  Then I grill them up indirect at around 375-400 deg f until they are nice and crispy...oh yeah, and I make sure the grates are sprayed down with oil...and I also give the wings a spray of oil once they are on the BGE.

Works like a charm every time, and they are about as hassle-free as it gets.  If you like your wings even crispier, just add a little more baking powder.  They will end up fried-like.   

• Dyal_SC
    Oh yeah, and they usually take plus or minus an hour with this method.  They will stay plenty juicy regardless of the meat's temperature, so I just leave them on there until the skin is how I like it. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Mmmm....wings. been too long since I've had some.

Go Gamecocks!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very nice wangs!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• @Dyal_SC have you ever used corn starch rather than baking powder? I've never used baking powder but have used the same technique you describe using corn starch. Use this for all poultry cuts with the skin on and it even gives a mild crust on boneless skinless breasts. 
    Lately, have started mixing corn starch with rub, maybe 1:2 ratio. Mist it with oil if the starch/rub mix stays dry. 

Your wings look awesome..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx, guys! Skiddymarker, yup, I've used corn starch as well. That works great too. I like using BP tho since its less sticky. Easier to toss them around in my opinion. :)
  • I recently met a Jamaican fellow here in North Carolina.  He shared a great Jamaican Jerk recipe that was passed on from his grandmother.  They like it HOT in the islands and this recipe is rather spicy.  You can adjust the pepper to your taste and it is still awesome.  I used fresh Habanero pepper, serrano and jalapeno.

1 small onion
    5 scallions
    2 cloves garlic
    1 of each pepper - Habanero, Serrano, Jalapeno or use 1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp Allspice
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp thyme (I used fresh sprigs)
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 tbs oil (I like EVOO)
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup orange juice

Mince all veggies in a food processor then add to the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.  This recipe makes enough to do lots of wings or shrimp.  I use it on everything when I have a taste for jerk style cooking.  It is one of my favorites.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Hey I forgot the salt!  Add 2 tsp salt to the above recipe.  Sorry.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • @SamFerrise, Thanks for sharing this, I have a recipe very close (orange juice is citrus mix of lime/lemon/orange), it is good. 
    You should post as its own topic, this one is worthy of its own thread.