Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Lesson for my Son... Reaping What You've Sown

Options
Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited November 2012 in Off Topic
This is the result of the first harvest from the container garden that my Mother-In-Law (green thumb extraordinaire) helped him to plant. Her timing was impeccable as these were picked by Isaiah on this Thanksgiving Eve. The time he gets to spend with her has had an awesome impact on him... he knows WAY more about gardening than my wife or I know. He goes out to the garden at his MawMaw's house and knows what is ready to pick and how to do it and he collects eggs from her chicken coup for her (she gets over a dozen eggs a day). He's becoming quite a little farmer at six years old. I guess it's time that I get myself up to speed so I can help keep his interest up.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Excellent! There are FAR too many people out there nowadays that lack even basic skills when it comes to growing things. These lessons have potential to be very valuable to him later in life. Encourage him to expand upon his knowledge in this area.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    That's awesome. Definitely something to be thankful for.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • wftyler
    Options
    Very nice, well done!  Love the grub.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    Thanks, we're already making plans for this spring, he's really into it.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Parallel, Thanks for sharing this - the most important lessons in life are the simple how to live lessons, like how to grow a carrot. 

Too many kids think everything comes from a hole in the wall, like a Star Trek food synthesizer. As a grandparent, we spend much more time with our grandkids on the simple life things then we ever did with our own children, probably because there is no rat race controlling what we do, no mortgage to pay or job to get to. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's good to understand where stuff comes from, how things work.  Get enough knowledge accumulated and you can start to see how everything fits together.  Before you know it, you can build and fix just about anything.  I'm sadly surprised how naive kids are today - they have the best resource for information ever, in history, with the world wide interwebs, but they end up squandering it on games and social networking.  Ya gotta get passionate about things, curious and get your hands dirty.
    Options
    Is he of legal working age yet? Heck,for that matter who cares? I won't tell if you don't. I seem to kill everything I touch for lack of knowledge, time or patience or other reasons. He will eat for free and have a couple of bucks in his pocket. I hear the chicks really dig that;)
    Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've taught my son to mow yards. Since he was 11 he makes about $2500 a summer. It's great for me because he buys his own movie making equipment. 50% to savings, 10% to charity and he gets the rest.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    My grandson was around 18 months this past summer.  He had great fun picking tomatoes (red ones and yellow ones -  golden rave) and beans, which we would then eat.  His sleeping companion is a bunny, so we also picked lettuce for the bunny.  Then we spent some time digging, his favorite activity.  He is definitely on track to be a gardener, and  I look forward to his help in the future.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    My now 4yr old spent was picking an eating peas from the yard as soon as he could walk. He got upset with SWMBO when she tried to give him peas from Trader Joes out of a bag as he couldn't understand why he couldn't go outside and pick them. It's great watching them running around picking and eating produce straight from the yard.
    Lynnwood WA