Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thanksgiving Smoked Duck

Family request to smoke duck for Thanksgiving this year. Looking for advice and tips. Any would be appreciated since this will be my first attempt at this. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,360
    Be sure to pierce or slash the skin, as there's a lot of fat (drip pan a necessity, and save the fat for frying potatoes later!)
    As far as temp, I've still not found the ideal temp and look forward to hearing from others, thanks!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • Slit the skin in a cross hatch pattern being careful not to cut into the flesh. Get a wok and bathe the duck in hot water, like with a ladle. Then do a low and slow on a raised grid

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• All the advice is good.  I stuffed mine with onions and apples.....smoked it and it was superb.  Give it a go.  You will love it.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,360
    Little Steven, what does the hot water bathing do?  Does it render some of the fat?  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    I have one on my gasser as I write ... I like to rotisserate at about 350 for about 3 hrs. to render fat and crisp up the skin. Stuffed with a throw away combo of onions, clementines, celery and S&P.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.